This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.7138 / 51°42'49"N
Longitude: -2.1202 / 2°7'12"W
OS Eastings: 391790
OS Northings: 201675
OS Grid: SO917016
Mapcode National: GBR 1N2.JRQ
Mapcode Global: VH956.66H2
Entry Name: The Downs
Listing Date: 21 March 1985
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1089673
English Heritage Legacy ID: 128350
Location: Sapperton, Cotswold, Gloucestershire, GL6
Civil Parish: Sapperton
Traditional County: Gloucestershire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Gloucestershire
Church of England Parish: Sapperton St Kenelm
Church of England Diocese: Gloucester
SO 90 SW SAPPERTON -
1/74 The Downs
House. Early/mid C19, one outbuilding dated "P:P/1836". Built
by Playne family. Rubble stone, double range tile roof with
embattled front parapet above cornice. 4 tall stone gable stacks
and 2 to wing on right. Near symmetrical facade with square bay
breaking forward in centre of main block. 2 storeys. 4 windows,
3 on main section pointed 2-light with intersecting tracery and
stone-mullion under square hoodmould, and one canted bay of 4
similar lights on wing to right. Central entrance in projecting
bay with moulded Tudor arch under hoodmould and recessed single
door in same design as windows. Wing to right partly roughcast
faced with conservatory to east. Oriel window on west side.
Wing to rear now part of house formerly stables or similar with
wooden arcade on west side.
Listing NGR: SO9179001675
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings