This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.5856 / 51°35'8"N
Longitude: -2.2578 / 2°15'28"W
OS Eastings: 382232
OS Northings: 187443
OS Grid: ST822874
Mapcode National: GBR 1PG.D0W
Mapcode Global: VH95P.TD7V
Entry Name: Church of St Lawrence
Listing Date: 6 September 1954
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1089699
English Heritage Legacy ID: 130397
Location: Didmarton, Cotswold, Gloucestershire, GL9
Civil Parish: Didmarton
Built-Up Area: Didmarton
Traditional County: Gloucestershire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Gloucestershire
Church of England Parish: Didmarton St Lawrence
Church of England Diocese: Gloucester
DIDMARTON THE STREET
15/82 Church of St. Lawrence
Redundant Anglican church. Medieval, possibly C13 core, but much
rebuilt in C18, mostly disused after building of new village Church
of St Michael and All Angels (q.v.) in 1872; now vested in
Redundant Churches Fund. Rubble stone, with ashlar west wall on
moulded plinth, stone slate roof with coped gables and
saddles tones. L-shape with north transept almost on plane of
chancel east wall, small south porch. North transept has
Geometrical 3-light window partly blocked at base, circular
clockface above and small restored bellcote on ridge with pyramidal
roof, moulded cornice, cusped eaves and weathercock. Large single
lights all of C18, arched to east and west, rounded heads to north
and chamfered square-headed openings on south side. South porch
has plain chamfered outer arch, inner semi-circular headed roll-
moulded arch with door of 6 fielded panels and 2 fielded quadrant
panels over, and stone side seats.
Interior remains in C18 form, with galleries formerly in transept
and at west end and pews on north side all now removed. Box pews
remain on south side with triple-decker pulpit with minister's and
clerk's desks, all set into moulded wooden arch framed across and
within the 2 window reveals. Small sanctuary has original rails,
and large painted Decalogue board now rests against west wall.
Small box pews flank sanctuary, possibly originally for children.
Hat pegs remain on upper level indicating former presence of
galleries. Oak pulpit is half-octagon with tester with inlaid
panel, and still with original eyelets around lower part for
hangings. Font has Norman stem and C14 octagonal bowl with C18
wooden cover. Several fine wall tablets of C18 and C19, and
several C17 ledger slabs including some to Codrington family,
builders of the Manor House (q.v.).
(David Verey, Buildings of England: Gloucestershire - the
Cotswolds, 1979; local information booklet)
Listing NGR: ST8223487443
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings