This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.9468 / 51°56'48"N
Longitude: -1.7099 / 1°42'35"W
OS Eastings: 420038
OS Northings: 227631
OS Grid: SP200276
Mapcode National: GBR 4PQ.SN3
Mapcode Global: VHBZ5.9BXD
Entry Name: The Manor House
Listing Date: 25 August 1960
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1089783
English Heritage Legacy ID: 130195
Location: Broadwell, Cotswold, Gloucestershire, GL56
Civil Parish: Broadwell
Traditional County: Gloucestershire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Gloucestershire
Church of England Parish: Broadwell St Paul
Church of England Diocese: Gloucester
BROADWELL BROADWELL VILLAGE
9/82 The Manor House
Manor house. C17, rebuilt 1757, early C19 and C20 extensions.
Ashlar with chamfered quoins, slate roof, ashlar stacks.
Rectangular main body, part of C17 west wing, attached rear right,
early C19 extensions rear left and right, C20 extension set back on
right not of special interest. Main body, 2 storeys and attic lit
by 3 gabled roof dormers. Early C19 extension right in same style
set back slightly on right. 5-bay facade to main body with central
3 bays brought forward slightly with chamfered quoins. String
above first floor windows supported on modillion cornice,
triangular pediment within parapet above. Sunken rectangular
panels decorating parapet with moulded capping and large ball
finials. Original 24-pane sashes with wide glazing bars within
architraves with moulded margins and Keystones. Central 6-panel
C18 front door flanked by rusticated Ionic pilasters and triangular
pediment. Band above continued around house. Original sash
windows, rainwater head and downpipe on left. Some original cross
windows with ovolo-moulded mullions and early glass at rear.
Interior: original C18 'L' shaped stair with column on vase
balusters, original white marble fireplace in drawing room left.
Well in vaulted cellars. C17, 2-panelled door to square-panelled
room in C17 part of house, simple incised 'm' decoration on upper
panels. The property was held by Evesham Abbey until the
Dissolution, after which it was held by various families. In 1619
it was bought by Anthony Hodges and William Chadwell (q.v.
monuments in church and churchyard). Mary Chamberlayne inherited
the estate and was responsible with her husband Dr. Thomas
Chamberlayne for the rebuilding of the house after a fire in 1757.
Print depicting the house prior to the fire by J. Kip in Atkyns
History of Glos, 1712.
Listing NGR: SP2003827631
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings