This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.8552 / 51°51'18"N
Longitude: -1.8453 / 1°50'43"W
OS Eastings: 410748
OS Northings: 217409
OS Grid: SP107174
Mapcode National: GBR 3PC.N94
Mapcode Global: VHB20.YMTP
Entry Name: Church of All Saints
Listing Date: 26 January 1961
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1089820
English Heritage Legacy ID: 130081
Location: Turkdean, Cotswold, Gloucestershire, GL54
Civil Parish: Turkdean
Traditional County: Gloucestershire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Gloucestershire
Church of England Parish: Turkdean All Saints
Church of England Diocese: Gloucester
TURKDEAN UPPER TURKDEAN
SP 11 NW
6/84 Church of All Saints
Anglican parish church. C12, C15, restored 1839 (south wall of the
aisle partially rebuilt, parts of the nave arcade renewed, new east
window inserted) and 1897 (general repairs and new roofs on the
nave and chancel). Chancel; coursed squared and dressed limestone,
otherwise ashlar. Stone slate roof. Plan; nave with tower
inserted at west end, north aisle and north porch, chancel. C15
gabled north porch with diagonal buttresses. Pointed arched
entrance to porch with deep casement mouldings and mould hood with
head stops in the form of a man's and a woman's head in
contemporary head-dress. Parapet with moulded capping and string.
Stone slab seats within porch. Double, studded doors to nave
within stone Tudor-arched surround with spandrels enriched with
quatrefoils with blank heraldic shields at centre. Hood with stops
similar to those over porch entrance. Single two-light windows,
possibly C15 with rectangular surrounds and tracery at top.
Relieving arches over both windows. Possible blocked window upper
left. Massive buttress with offsets left. Moulded eaves cornice.
Remains of C12 nave set back far right with pilaster buttress,
later buttress with offsets and moulded plinth. C12 corbel table
with some sculptured animal heads. Upper part of right side of C12
round-headed arched entrance of two orders with chevron and billet
ornament, capital with cushion mouldings, and impost with foliate
decoration, small portion of engaged shaft below. Reused
sculptured stone, possibly Saxo-Norman, with interlace and foliate
decoration upper right. West wall of nave C12 with 3 pilaster
buttresses, carved head over central buttress. Three reused carved
stone blocks, 2 with diaper decoration, one with carved cross
(possibly sanctus cross). Short length of former south wall of
nave with single pilaster buttress and C12 corbel table as on
north. C15 tower inserted within west end of nave. Single stage
with string course above nave roof with 2-light belfry windows.
Battlemented parapet with string. C13 south aisle breaks forwards
from line of south wall of C12 nave; wide central two-centred
arched entrance with deep casement moulding and with square stops
(now blocked). Two pointed 3-light windows with tracery and hoods,
that on left with- square stops. Chancel; deep flat-chamfered
plinth. Upper half of C12 priest's door (now blocked) in north
wall, with semi-circular arch of two orders and diapered tympanum
with pellet decoration, engaged columns with cushion capitals and
diapered imposts. Traces of mass dial left of left capital. Lower
half of doorway obscured by later plinth. Single lancet windows,
probably C19, either side of doorway. Three-light pointed C19 east
window with stopped hood. Chancel north wall; 2-light stone-
mullioned casement with cinquefoil-headed lights and rectangular
surround, hood with square stop. Moulded eaves cornice.
Church interior; plastered. Three steps down to nave from porch.
Three-bay late C14 nave arcade with pointed arches springing from
octagonal piers. Low flat-chamfered arch from nave to tower. Two
similar but blocked archways in north and south walls under tower
(within former west end of C12 nave). Wide round-headed C12
chancel arch with imposts. C19, five-bay roof to nave. All
trusses with tie beams and collars, two with king posts. C19 lean-
to roof to north aisle supported by defaced C15 stone corbels.
Three-bay C19 king post roof to chancel. Nave floor; parquet,
stone ledgers form floor of south aisle. Three steps up to
chancel. Plank floor to chancel. Furniture and fittings: C19
octagonal stone font adjacent to north door (copy of damaged C14
font). C19 pews and C20 chairs in nave. C19 stone pulpit. Screen
of oak painted white, 1949, by Peter Falconer, decorated with
flowers and butterflies. Monuments; C17 and C18 ledgers some with
good inscriptions form floor of north aisle. C19 marble monument
on nave south wall. C19 stained glass in all windows of chancel.
Fine stained glass window in south aisle dedicated to Dame Julia
Bolton, died 1924, by Henry A. Payne. Wall paintings; royal coat
of arms over chancel arch, full length figure holding staff against
background painted with stars within rectangular margin with
crimson foliate border over part of nave arcade.
(David Verey, The Buildings of England, The Cotswolds, 1979)
Listing NGR: SP1074817412
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings