History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Pilgrims the Old Vicarage

A Grade II Listed Building in Down Ampney, Gloucestershire

More Photos »
Approximate Location Map
Large Map »


Latitude: 51.6734 / 51°40'24"N

Longitude: -1.8587 / 1°51'31"W

OS Eastings: 409864

OS Northings: 197193

OS Grid: SU098971

Mapcode National: GBR 3RN.4VJ

Mapcode Global: VHB2Z.Q6QH

Entry Name: Pilgrims the Old Vicarage

Listing Date: 17 June 1986

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1089934

English Heritage Legacy ID: 129841

Location: Down Ampney, Cotswold, Gloucestershire, GL7

County: Gloucestershire

District: Cotswold

Civil Parish: Down Ampney

Built-Up Area: Down Ampney

Traditional County: Gloucestershire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Gloucestershire

Church of England Parish: Down Ampney All Saints

Church of England Diocese: Gloucester

Find accommodation in
Meysey Hampton

Listing Text

(north side)

8/98 The Old Vicarage and Pilgrims


Former vicarage, now divided into two separate houses. 1865 by E J Tarver.
Coursed rubble stone with flush quoins, stone slate roof, stone
stacks with large grouped brick flues with oversailing courses.
Double range. Range to south, The Old Vicarage, of 2 storeys and
attic with former bell tower and chapel on south-east corner. Four
windows, 2-storey projecting canted bay to left with 1/3/1-light
stone mullion and transoms, and 3/2/1-light wood mullion and
transoms to rest. Ground floor similar but with segmental stone
heads to non-bay windows. Three hipped dormers. Small octagonal
bell tower of 2 storeys with narrow door on ground floor and carved
inscription recording Vaughan Williams' birth, small chapel with
tile floor and 2-light window to west, 3-light to east. Interior
of house completely altered. Range to north, Pilgrims, former
front of house, of 2 storeys, with mid/late C18 cottage linked by
gateway to left. Large projecting steep gabled 2-storey porch to
left with sprocketed roof, pointed arch window with blind arch and
2-light wood mullion and transom over entrance across corbelled out
corner, with shouldered arch, roll moulded jambs and half-glazed
door. Two small gables to right of different sizes with one and 2-
light wood mullion and transoms, and 3-light below with segmental
head, with blocked window to right. Cottage to left of rubble
stone, stone slate roof and stone ridge stack, 2 storeys with
scattered fenestration, mostly casements. Birthplace of Ralph Vaughan
Williams on 12th October 1872.

Listing NGR: SU0986497193

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.