This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.6675 / 51°40'3"N
Longitude: -1.8593 / 1°51'33"W
OS Eastings: 409828
OS Northings: 196539
OS Grid: SU098965
Mapcode National: GBR 3RN.JR4
Mapcode Global: VHB2Z.QCF0
Entry Name: Church of All Saints
Listing Date: 26 November 1958
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1089941
English Heritage Legacy ID: 129855
Location: Down Ampney, Cotswold, Gloucestershire, GL7
Civil Parish: Down Ampney
Built-Up Area: Down Ampney
Traditional County: Gloucestershire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Gloucestershire
Church of England Parish: Down Ampney All Saints
Church of England Diocese: Gloucester
SU 09 NE DOWN AMPNEY DOWN AMPNEY VILLAGE
8/112 Church of All Saints
Anglican parish church. Consecrated 1265, spire of C14, C15 south
porch, C19 clerestory, aisles and transepts, chancel and north
transept restored 1863. Rubble stone, coursed to chancel and north
transept, stone slate roof with coped verges and cross finials.
West tower, nave with clerestory, aisles and transepts, and south
porch, chancel with vestry to north. Tower of 3 stages with flat
angle buttresses to west, string courses, embattled parapet, and
octagonal spire with moulded divisions and carved section just
above halfway up, weathercock. Lower stages of tower have single
lancets and upper stage has 4-bay Early English arcade on each face
with outer 2 arches blind, inner 2 with belfry louvres. Clerestory
has three 2-light Perpendicular style windows with cusped lights.
South aisle with 2-light plate tracery. South porch has coped
diagonal buttresses with cusped niches above, large square
hoodmould over 3-centred arched entrance with carved spandrels and
small crocketed ogee niche inside on west wall. Triple lancet to
south transept with reset consecration cross below. Chancel has
stepped triple lancet with roll moulding to east end, with Purbeck
column shafts on inside, and small 3-light Decorated window on
south side with adjacent C18 wall tablet with cherub heads, fluted
pilasters and skull on apron. North aisle has 3 single lancets.
Interior: nave roof of 4 bays with arch-braced collar beams
supported on tie beams with brace and strut to corbel. Four-bay
Transitional north arcade with cylindrical piers, stiff leaf
capitals and soffits painted with restored C13 red cinquefoil
flowers. One similar pier and some painting on south arcade.
Cinquefoiled rere-arches to transept windows, and piscina, credence
shelf and squint in south transept. Very fine late C19 wooden
fittings including pulpit, reredos, rood screen and south transept
screen, all designed by Charles Ponting, carried out 1898 onwards.
North transept screen dated 1900, incorporating Jacobean panelling
and painted arms of Sir Anthony Hungerford. Tomb recess in north
chancel wall, with coffin lid. Recumbent effigies in south
transept under large cusped ogee arch with ballflower and crocketed
decoration, of Sir Nicholas (d.1300) and Lady Margaret de Valers
(d.1320). In north transept, monument to Sir John and Sir Anthony
Hungerford, erected 1637, with kneeling marble effigies under
canopy in Renaissance style with broken pediment, putti and
(David Verey, Buildings of England - Gloucestershire: The
Listing NGR: SU0982996542
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings