This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.6578 / 51°39'28"N
Longitude: -1.976 / 1°58'33"W
OS Eastings: 401756
OS Northings: 195451
OS Grid: SU017954
Mapcode National: GBR 2QC.56N
Mapcode Global: VHB2X.PLQG
Plus Code: 9C3WM25F+4J
Entry Name: Somerford Keynes House
Listing Date: 27 February 1986
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1090078
English Heritage Legacy ID: 129488
Location: Somerford Keynes, Cotswold, Gloucestershire, GL7
Civil Parish: Somerford Keynes
Built-Up Area: Somerford Keynes
Traditional County: Wiltshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Gloucestershire
Church of England Parish: Somerford Keynes with Sharncote All Saints
Church of England Diocese: Gloucester
SOMERFORD KEYNES MAIN STREET
SU 09 NW
(off west side)
8/189 Somerford Keynes House
Former vicarage (until 1916), now large detached private house.
Begun 1804, for Rev. Nathaniel George Woodrooffe, enlarged 1853 to
east and west, enlarged again to east in 1920. Original section
ashlar faced, with coursed and dressed stone to each side, flush
quoins to west, hipped slate roof with deep projecting eaves,
ashlar stacks with moulded cornice. Long single range, 2 storeys.
South front has 10 windows, 12-pane sashes, some with louvred
shutters. Half-glazed door to far right with decorative
rectangular fanlight. West end has 2 full length windows. North
front steps back twice from east to west with nine 12-pane sashes
across whole. Central oldest section in coursed and dressed stone
on this side with stone Doric porch with 2 columns on bases and 2
pilasters, entablature and blocking course, 4-panel door with
recessed moulded panels in 2 leaves. Long 24-pane stair window to
left of porch.
Interior largely intact including baluster stair in central
section. (Geoffrey Gibbon, Through the Saxon Door - the story of
Somerford Keynes, 1969).
Listing NGR: SU0175695451
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings