This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 51.7429 / 51°44'34"N
Longitude: -2.2522 / 2°15'7"W
OS Eastings: 382683
OS Northings: 204943
OS Grid: SO826049
Mapcode National: GBR 1MJ.MFQ
Mapcode Global: VH94X.XG67
Entry Name: Ebley Chapel and Attached Boundary Walls to East
Listing Date: 25 June 1974
Last Amended: 15 February 1994
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1090126
English Heritage Legacy ID: 131379
Location: Cainscross, Stroud, Gloucestershire, GL5
Civil Parish: Cainscross
Built-Up Area: Stroud
Traditional County: Gloucestershire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Gloucestershire
Church of England Parish: Cainscross St Matthew
Church of England Diocese: Gloucester
County Primary School.
should be amended to read:
The Count,v Primaw 2chool, the Cemeter,v railings, the Congregational Chapel,
inaludinz wall +and gmtes, and the Co++axq ad,iomin+ Congrezational Chwel on
eas+ side form a group. -
STROUD CHAPEL LANE
STROUD CHAPEL LANE
SO 8204 NE
West side), Ebley
16/211 County Primary School
the entry shall be amended to read:
SO 8204 NE 16/211 STROUD CHAPEL LANE
(West side), Ebley
16/211 Ebley Chapel and attached
boundary walls to east
(Formerly listed as:
CHAPEL LANE (West side)
County B%my School)
Chapel, former British School. Dated 1840, with extension of 1896. Coursed and dressed
limestone, with ashlar dressings and facade: slate roofs with boxed eaves. Single-cell former
schoolroom, with 1896 extension to north side. The 1840 building has blind arches to the
ground floor under large sashes above, formerly 12-pane but with horizontal glazing bars
removed. South front, facing the newly-formed Huntingdon Close, has 5 sashes and blind arches,
separated by broad pilasters, a broad cill band and an eaves band. At east and west sides there is
a very large 12-pane sash, taken below the line of the cill band, and flanked by sash each side
(similar to south side sashes). At the east (entrance) end there is a raised stone commemorative
panel under the central sash. Lower hipped range of 1894-to north, also with eaves band and
boxed eaves: pair of part-glazed doors under a plain fanlight, in very deep arched reveals, to the
left; long return front has 6 irregularly-spaced sashes, and the west end has a deep-set arched
door, as at the entrance, on 3 stone steps, and a small 2-light casement. Interior not inspected.
Subsidiary Features: ashlar east boundary wall, stone-coped with pair of central cast-iron gates
flanked by piers with heavy weathered stone cappings; similar but smaller piers terminate the wall
at either end. At the south end is a lower wall in coursed stone with capping, stopped to the
south-east corner of the chapel, and with a single small iron gate at its junction with the main
County Primary School
SO 8204 NE 16/211
1840 (dated). Former British School. Ashlar. flipped slate roof. 1 storey.
Moulded wooden eaves cornice. Plain stringcourse below windows. 5 bays, divided
by pilasters on south elevation: 5 double-hung sash windows with glazing bars.
1 blind semi-circular arch below stringcourse on south elevation, 2 on east.
Extension of 1896(dated). Hammerdressed stone. Hipped slate roof, 1 storey.
Moulded wooden eaves cornice. 6 double-hung sash windows with glazing bars,
School,Chapel, Manse, Cottage adjoiining Chapel, and Cemetery Railings form a group.
Listing NGR: SO8268304943
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings