This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.8307 / 51°49'50"N
Longitude: -1.7563 / 1°45'22"W
OS Eastings: 416889
OS Northings: 214701
OS Grid: SP168147
Mapcode National: GBR 4R6.0T5
Mapcode Global: VHB28.H7WY
Entry Name: Sherborne House
Listing Date: 23 January 1952
Last Amended: 25 March 1987
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1090436
English Heritage Legacy ID: 130629
Location: Sherborne, Cotswold, Gloucestershire, GL54
Civil Parish: Sherborne
Traditional County: Gloucestershire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Gloucestershire
Church of England Parish: Sherborne St Mary Magdalene
Church of England Diocese: Gloucester
SHERBORNE SHERBORNE VILLAGE
9/191 Sherborne House
(formerly listed as
23.1.52 Sherborne Park)
Former country house converted into flats 1982. On site of former
grange/hunting lodge to Winchcombe Abbey. Probably executed by
Valentine Strong of Taynton for John Dutton, rebuilt by Lewis Wyatt
1829-1834. Interior decoration of principal rooms by Anthony
Salvin c1841. Ashlar. Slate roof with ashlar stacks, basically
square plan with courtyard at centre. Short passage linking house
to church (q.v.) on north side. Three-storey, 3;5;1;5;2;1-windowed
facade. Three-storey porch off-centre left. Wing projects
forwards left, shorter wing towards right-hand end. Three-
windowed, 3-storey bay window left of porch, similar 2-windowed bay
to right-hand return of wing to left. Fenestration left of porch;
4-pane sashes to ground floor. Stone-mullioned ovolo-moulded cross
windows to right-hand return of wing to right and to first floor.
Two-light ovolo-moulded stone-mullioned casements to second floor.
All stone-mullioned casements with horizontal glazing bars. Three-
storey projecting porch with moulded round-headed entrance arch
with imposts and keystone. Double door with 6 fielded panels and
large oval ceiling boss decorated with lobster within porch. Cross
window to floor above with moulded architrave and square-sectioned
stone mullion. Two-light stone-mullioned casement with matching
architrave and square-sectioned mullion above. Similar
fenestration right of porch. Sash windows to second and third
floors. Engaged columns on projecting engaged plinths flanking
each window. Ionic capitals to columns on ground floor.
Corinthian capitals to upper floors. Parapet rising from wide
string with brackets below. South front is of similar style but
with rusticated stonework to ground floor. Engaged columns on
second floor rising from projecting consoles. Rainwater heads
decorated with 5-feather motif. Subsidiary features; steps up to
south side of house flanked by stone balustrade. Ornate wrought-
iron gates incorporating the initial 'S' at top of step flanked by
low square piers with ball finials. Three-storey canted bay facing
into courtyard at centre of house. 'Cloister'-like covered walk
with a round-headed arched arcade, around part of courtyard.
Interior; former hallway with plastered intersecting beams. C19
fireplace with paired fluted columns with Ionic capitals supporting
a panelled ogee-curved canopy. Spiral staircase inserted C19 at
south end. C19 heraldic glass in windows of hallway. Lord
Sherborne's study (Flat 2) left of entrance. Doorway with
triangular pediment. Large C19 fireplace with projecting canopy
decorated with eclectic motifs. Smaller fireplace with lugged
surround. Simple ceiling cornice incorporating tulip motif. Small
area of ceiling decorated with 5-petal flower motif within lattice.
Library Flat (no 11) incorporates barrel vaulted cellar with
moulded stops to ribs of barrel. The library retains its mid C19
appearance including its finely carved bookshelves and mirrors.
Marble fireplace with egg and dart moulding. Fielded dado.
Moulded architraves with carved faces and festoon decoration over
door. Ornate moulded ceiling rose and cornice. Dining room (flat
18); fielded dado, fielded 8-panel doors within architraves with
acanthus decoration; carved faces and festoons above. Ornate
wooden fire surround decorated with cornucopias, consoles either
side with hanging fruit below. Extremely fine moulded plasterwork
decoration to ceiling with casement moulded cornice with scallop
shells at corners, continuous vine scroll motif along lower edge of
cornice. Finely executed ceiling rose. Main staircase C19 with
C17 style splat balusters. Stairs within north wing possibly
retain C17 turned balusters, newels with sunken panel decoration
and pierced finials replaced C19. Ballroom; reduced in size by
one bay C20, cornice and dado reproduced on new partition wall.
White marble fireplace with original mirror above. Ceiling with
ornate plasterwork decoration. Plasterwork ceilings in principal
rooms described all by Anthony Salvin (pupil of John Nash).
History; property of the Dutton family from c1552-1970. James
Dutton created first Lord Sherborne by George III in 1784. Mid C19
alterations were carried out by James, third Lord Sherborne.
(David Verey, The Buildin s of England; The Cotswolds, 1979;
Engraving by Kip in Atkyn's History of Gloucestershire, published
in 1711; Sherborne House, Connoisseur, May 1911 (XXX); and
February 1912 The Renovation of Sherborne House, Gloucestershire
and Avon Life, August 1982; photographs of interior in National
Listing NGR: SP1688914701
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings