History in Structure

Church of St Lawrence

A Grade I Listed Building in Longney and Epney, Gloucestershire

More Photos »
Approximate Location Map
Large Map »


Latitude: 51.8101 / 51°48'36"N

Longitude: -2.344 / 2°20'38"W

OS Eastings: 376380

OS Northings: 212436

OS Grid: SO763124

Mapcode National: GBR 0K9.G72

Mapcode Global: VH94H.BR5S

Plus Code: 9C3VRM64+2C

Entry Name: Church of St Lawrence

Listing Date: 10 January 1955

Grade: I

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1090797

English Heritage Legacy ID: 131789

ID on this website: 101090797

Location: St Laurence's Church, Longney, Stroud, Gloucestershire, GL2

County: Gloucestershire

District: Stroud

Civil Parish: Longney and Epney

Traditional County: Gloucestershire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Gloucestershire

Church of England Parish: Longney

Church of England Diocese: Gloucester

Tagged with: Church building

Find accommodation in



4/130 Church of St. Lawrence



Parish church. C13; early C14 tower; 1873 restoration by
F.S.Waller. Random rubble lias; limestone dressings; limestone
ashlar; clay plain tile roof. Nave without aisles; south tower,
south chapel; north and south porches and chancel. Moulded 4-
centred arched south doorway with quatrefoil enriched spandrels and
plank door; late C15 ashlar Perpendicular south porch with
diagonal corner buttresses and crenellated parapet; moulded 4-
centred arched porch doorway also with quatrefoil enriched
spandrels; image niche over in row of trefoil-headed panels;
open-framed porch gates; internal stone seats and octagonal shaft
for stoup; pair of trefoil-headed lancets in west porch wall.
Perpendicular 3-light rectilinear traceried window in buttressed
south nave wall, with early C14 two-light with Y-tracery to right;
C15 three-light with trefoil-headed lancets in square-headed
opening in recess between porch and tower. Buttressed north nave
wall appears restored in C19; two 2-light Decorated windows set
either side of plain pointed C13 doorway with heavy plank door;
late C15 timber framed north porch with trefoil-headed side
openings above internal wooden seats; carved bargeboards to crown
post roof with cusped-arched bracing to tie-beams; eaves-mounted
Cl9 ashlar chimney to right of doorway. Set-back buttresses to
west nave wall; C14 three-light west window with string course
above and below. Tower of 3 stages with diagonal offset
buttresses to lower stage and C14 south window with Y-tracery;
chamfered square-headed openings to middle stage; C15 ashlar
belfry with large 2-light Perpendicular opening in each tower face
having stone louvres; moulded crenellated parapet with moulded
string course below linking animal gargoyles, one to each tower
face. South chapel: C19 restored late C13 south priest's doorway
in buttressed south chapel wall; C15 three-light to left with C19
relieving arch; parapet gabled east chapel wall with quatrefoil
tracery to 2-light Decorated window. Parapet gabled and
buttressed east chancel wall with 3-light Decorated window; two 2-
light C19 restored north chancel windows.
Interior is plastered with long tall nave having wagon roof,
panelled at east end with corbel table to south; moulded tie-
beams. C19 restored chancel arch; plain chamfered C14 arches to
east and north sides of tower; 2-bay late C13 pointed arched
arcade between chancel and south chapel having circular central
column with moulded capital and base; raised C19 tiled floor to
altar; 4-bay south chapel roof with arched-braced collar-trusses
and arched wind bracing. Late C13 south piscina to chancel and
south chapel; C14 mortuary recess in north chancel wall with
medieval tiled shelf, one tile having Berkeley arms; C19 choir
stalls and pews; Cl9 hexagonal-fronted timber pulpit with pierced
tracery to faces. C14 octagonal stone font with richly panelled
bowl and buttressed pedestal. Provincial Baroque memorial on
north nave wall with richly carved and undercut border to oval
inscription panel surmounted by bust flanked by open inscribed
books, inscribed to Rich Littleton, died 1713; further left
memorial with black marble oval bearing white inscription panel
with rose garlanded funereal urn over, by John Pearce of Frampton
to JOHN FRYER, died 1783; memorial on south nave wall is obelisk-
shaped and has portrait of pedestal with urn top and weeping willow
tree over, also by John Pearce to JOHN FRYER, died 1799. Tower
dominates flat landscape. (C.R.Elrington,'Longney' in V.C.H.
Glos. x, 1972, pp. 197-205; D. Verey, Gloucestershire: The Vale
and the Forest of Dean, 1976.)

Listing NGR: SO7638112438

External Links

External links are from the relevant listing authority and, where applicable, Wikidata. Wikidata IDs may be related buildings as well as this specific building. If you want to add or update a link, you will need to do so by editing the Wikidata entry.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.