This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.7854 / 51°47'7"N
Longitude: -2.1953 / 2°11'43"W
OS Eastings: 386624
OS Northings: 209651
OS Grid: SO866096
Mapcode National: GBR 1M6.3S8
Mapcode Global: VH94R.WDS5
Entry Name: Lewis and 4 Unidentified Monuments Circa 17 Metres North West Corner of Tower in Churchyard to Church of St Mary
Listing Date: 24 August 1990
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1090957
English Heritage Legacy ID: 133382
Location: Painswick, Stroud, Gloucestershire, GL6
Civil Parish: Painswick
Built-Up Area: Painswick
Traditional County: Gloucestershire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Gloucestershire
Church of England Parish: Painswick St Mary the Virgin
Church of England Diocese: Gloucester
PAINSWICK NEW STREET
SO 8609 (part)
9/195 Lewis and 4 unidentified
monuments c.17 m north-
west corner of tower in
churchyard of the Church -
of St Mary
Pedestal tomb and 4 headstones. C18. Limestone.
(a) Lofty pedestal tomb, high moulded capping to flat cornice and moulding,
raised moulding circular panels east and west, sunk embellished mould north and
south, high moulded base on 2-step sub-base and platform, formerly railed.
Mainly illegible but a date 1774 decipherable. The 1879 survey records Joseph
Lewis 1807 and John Gardner 1774.
(b) Flanking (a), two headstones in line each to north and south. Two to left
(north) have segmental heads and rich rococo cartouches with cherubs' heads; to
the right, similar, one with good cartouche surround.
Listing NGR: SO8662409651
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings