This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.7919 / 51°47'30"N
Longitude: -2.1933 / 2°11'35"W
OS Eastings: 386763
OS Northings: 210376
OS Grid: SO867103
Mapcode National: GBR 1M0.Q8Y
Mapcode Global: VH94R.X7V5
Entry Name: Gyde House and Terrace Wall with Steps
Listing Date: 10 April 1986
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1091003
English Heritage Legacy ID: 133294
Location: Painswick, Stroud, Gloucestershire, GL6
Civil Parish: Painswick
Built-Up Area: Painswick
Traditional County: Gloucestershire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Gloucestershire
Church of England Parish: Painswick St Mary the Virgin
Church of England Diocese: Gloucester
PAINSWICK GYDE ROAD
6/113 Gyde House and terrace
wall with steps
Orphanage, now children's home. c.1913 by Percy Richard Morley Horder.
Painswick stone ashlar, stone slate roofs. Large symmetrical block with shallow
'U' to main front, and 3 rear wings forming an 'E', with central arm longest.
An irregular institutional plan with no major statements for public rooms or
staircases; former dormitory spaces have been sub-divided. South front 2½
storeys, cross-gabled with projecting outer wings in one bay and long central
section having central coped gabled bay with oriel over doorway, flanked by two
lesser flush gables on either side. complex window rhythms with mullioned and
transomed casements plus stopped hoods to ground floor, pattern of many small
casements at first floor, and mullioned casements with stopped hoods in gables.
Windows generally plain chamfer, but ground floor has recessed chamfer
mullions. In internal corners to wings large external stacks with stone slated
offsets carrying diagonally set flues with neckings and moulded cappings.
Centre bay is flanked by two ridge stacks with flues as before. Two-leaf oak
door in Tudor surround centrally. Right return has two flush gables, various
casements and a Tudor door roughly central; left return similar, but extends to
include large round archway giving access to courtyard; a bellcote over this.
On entry to courtyard, there is a canted 1-storey bay opposite archway, and, to
right a gabled porch with bolection mould door surround to deep-set pair of
doors. Central wing is 5 or 6 windows deep, with 2 small and one larger
Cotswold dormers, and 3 paired stacks, the central one with diagonally set
flues. Across the full width of the main frontage is a terrace retained by wall
in stone with plain copings, returned on the west front, and with sets of simple
steps. The building is a good example of the continuing Cotswold vernacular
tradition, and stands in a very prominent position overlooking Painswick.
Listing NGR: SO8676310376
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings