This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.7858 / 51°47'8"N
Longitude: -2.1933 / 2°11'35"W
OS Eastings: 386762
OS Northings: 209702
OS Grid: SO867097
Mapcode National: GBR 1M0.Y17
Mapcode Global: VH94R.XCVV
Entry Name: Cardynham
Listing Date: 21 October 1955
Last Amended: 24 August 1990
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1091019
English Heritage Legacy ID: 133232
Location: Painswick, Stroud, Gloucestershire, GL6
Civil Parish: Painswick
Built-Up Area: Painswick
Traditional County: Gloucestershire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Gloucestershire
Church of England Parish: Painswick St Mary the Virgin
Church of England Diocese: Gloucester
PAINSWICK THE CROSS
SO 8609/8709 (part of)
8/57 Cardynham (formerly listed
as The Cross (Newsagents)
Large house on corner at end of row, now with shop. C16 and C17. Limestone
ashlar, stone slate roofs. An L-plan building with two gables to The Cross, and
3 gables to the return to St Mary's Street; there are remains of C16 work
within, but frontages are C17 in design. To The Cross is two storeys and attic
with part cellar to right. Ground floor has a good mid Cl9 bowed double-fronted
shop front with 20-paned windows flanking a part-glazed door, and to right a
16-pane sash to stone cill; above these a string course cut short to left end.
First floor has four 2-light ovolo-moulded stone-mullioned casements in pairs
beneath continuous string course, and each gable has a 2-light casement, the
same, to stopped hood. Windows have iron casements with one horizontal glazing
bar. Gables have saddle-back copings. Facade to St Mary's Street has 3 gables,
two with plain copings, and the third, part of the main front with saddle-back
coping: this also carries a lofty stone stack, with capping, set diagonally.
The middle gable has a stack raised in concrete block to a moulded capping.
Left gable unit has C20 loading door in former window opening under a 2-light
stone mullioned casement to hood, and a small access hatch, right. Mid unit has
oculus and small single light to stair, also wide part-glazed door in former
window opening under chamfer-mullion 2-light with hood. In right gable a 9-pane
casement at ground floor under two single-light ovolo-mould casements with
Gothick leading and continuous string. Between gables a 2-light lead-covered
dormer. Plinth steps down, at straight joint between two parts to right.
Interior: cellar has very heavy chamfered beams to some later cast iron columns,
approached by stone stair; also a C17 ventilated doorway to inner cellar. At
back, ground floor, a large C16 or early C17 moulded stone fire opening with
bressummer over, 2 large corbels, bread oven. One very heavy chamfered beam.
Staircase is C17 with turned balusters. One corner bedroom has a heavy
chamfered beam. Various C18 and C19 doors. One attic fireplace with cambered
head. Roof structure of front block appears to be complete original, with very
heavy principals. Located at a prime position in the town centre the quality of
this building reflects its social and economic significance.
Listing NGR: SO8676209702
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings