This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.8039 / 51°48'14"N
Longitude: -2.1789 / 2°10'44"W
OS Eastings: 387759
OS Northings: 211710
OS Grid: SO877117
Mapcode National: GBR 1LV.V87
Mapcode Global: VH94L.5XYH
Entry Name: Olivers
Listing Date: 21 October 1955
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1091037
English Heritage Legacy ID: 133184
Location: Painswick, Stroud, Gloucestershire, GL6
Civil Parish: Painswick
Traditional County: Gloucestershire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Gloucestershire
Church of England Parish: Painswick St Mary the Virgin
Church of England Diocese: Gloucester
SO 81 SE
Country house in grounds. Some C18 but mainly early C19 and C20. Modifications in C20 by Detmar Blow. Fine limestone ashlar front, coursed and squared elsewhere, Welsh slate roof. Original L-plan now approximately T-plan, with long principal front near-symmetrical about a full-height semicircular portico bay, and two slightly projecting end bays; far left is C20 extension. Two storeys, lofty casements in 2+2:3:3:2+2 lights with stone mullions and under stopped hoods at ground floor; far left is deep recess with French windows. First floor has sashes divided by stone mullions and under stopped hoods in 3:3:3 then 3 casements to central bow, then 3:3. Tall lights with glazing bars and with intersecting bars to heads. Central part glazed doors set back within Doric portico. Cornice, parapet with some balusters in outer pavilions only; various stacks. The back has a 2-gabled section of mid C20 work, also at the upper level an entry flanked by 3-light recessed chamfer stone mullioned casements, all under a stepped hood, with a later 3-light above. Flat-roofed extension to right. A section of wall swept up with coping and including a parallel door lies to right of the principal entry. The interior has been much modified, but retains the fire with deep chamfer surround. Some demolition said to have occurred in 1970s. A John Oliver is recorded in Painswick in 1548, and Oliver's Mill in the valley below the house.
Listing NGR: SO8775911710
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings