This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.684 / 51°41'2"N
Longitude: -2.2909 / 2°17'27"W
OS Eastings: 379985
OS Northings: 198402
OS Grid: ST799984
Mapcode National: GBR 0LX.9MN
Mapcode Global: VH953.7XRX
Plus Code: 9C3VMPM5+JJ
Entry Name: Church of the Holy Cross
Listing Date: 30 June 1961
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1091064
English Heritage Legacy ID: 133144
Location: Owlpen, Stroud, Gloucestershire, GL11
Civil Parish: Owlpen
Traditional County: Gloucestershire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Gloucestershire
Church of England Parish: Uley with Owlpen and Nympsfield
Church of England Diocese: Gloucester
ST 79 NE OWLPEN OWLPEN VILLAGE
Church of the Holy Cross
Parish church. 1828-30 by Samuel Manning; altered 1874-5 by J.P.
St Aubyn. Tower rebuilt 1912. Coursed and dressed limestone;
stone slate roof. Wide aisleless nave, chancel, west tower and
south porch. Moulded pointed arched south doorway, timber framed
porch dated 1897 and added for Queen Victoria's Diamond Jubilee,
this having openwork carved barge boards and traceried windows.
Two 3-light pointed nave windows to right with Decorated tracery;
one similar window on north side. Polygonal east end to chancel
with diagonal buttresses; single-light window with quatrefoil
tracery to each side. Gabled north vestry. Two-stage tower with
diagonal offset west buttresses, 2-light belfry openings;
Interior: wide nave with coved plaster ceiling; at centre a
timber ribbed grille with carved timber bosses. Moulded pointed
tower arch and wider chancel arch with carved screen. Elaborately
decorated chancel, walls covered with inlaid mosaics by Powell of
Whitefriars Glass Works, alabaster reredos, encaustic tiled floor
and richly painted arched braced collar truss roof with 2 tiers of
windbracing, all of 1887. Trefoil rere-arches to windows. Trefoil
arched aumbry recess and sedile with adjoining piscina recess.
Interior of tower treated as baptistery, walls also decorated by
Powell mosaics, including mother-of-pearl inlay to splayed window
jambs, this added 1913. Norman font bowl on later base.
Monuments, some dating from early C19, on north wall of nave. Good
stained glass, much of c1887 by Powell. Other nave windows by
Heaton, Butler and Bayne. A modest church with good late Victorian
and Edwardian interior, in a prominent position and grouping well
with Owlpen Manor (q.v.).
(C.N. Mander, Church Guide, 1980; D. Verey, Cotswold Churches,
1976 and Gloucestershire: The Cotswolds, 1979)
Listing NGR: ST7998598402
Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.
Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings