This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.7791 / 51°46'44"N
Longitude: -2.0938 / 2°5'37"W
OS Eastings: 393623
OS Northings: 208935
OS Grid: SO936089
Mapcode National: GBR 2NN.KFB
Mapcode Global: VH94T.NKF1
Entry Name: Church of St Andrew
Listing Date: 28 June 1960
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1091221
English Heritage Legacy ID: 132723
Location: Miserden, Stroud, Gloucestershire, GL6
Civil Parish: Miserden
Traditional County: Gloucestershire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Gloucestershire
Church of England Parish: Miserden St Andrew
Church of England Diocese: Gloucester
SO 9308 MISERDEN MISERDEN VILLAGE
10/164 Church of St Andrew
Parish church. Mid-late C11; C12 chancel, C15 tower. Extensive
1866 alterations by Rev. W.H. Lowder. Random rubble and ashlar
limestone; stone slate roof. Nave with short aisles and south
porch; west tower, chancel with north vestry and south chapel.
Saxon round arched nave doorways with hoodmould and moulded imposts
each have C14 pointed arched doorway inserted below, that to south
with C14 parapet gabled south porch with pointed arch. One
Perpendicular traceried 2-light pointed window to left of south
porch; C19 rebuilt lean-to aisle with two C13-style plate
traceried windows to right. Taller gabled chapel beyond has more
authentic C15 style windows and reset Norman window at east end.
Similar aisle to north. Late C13 style east triplet to chancel.
Lower part of west tower may be C13 with blocked Early English
lancet on south face. Altered in C15 with addition of diagonal
offset buttresses, projecting south stair turret, 2-light west
window, and crenellated belfry with 2-light Perpendicular traceried
openings having stone slate louvres.
Interior: limewashed with C19 openings, 2-bay south arcade, one
large aisle arch to north. C15 tower arch. Wagon roof. Wide C19
pointed chancel arch, chancel having scissor-braced rafter roof.
Delicately carved reredos to 1928 English altar by F.E. Howard.
Trefoil headed south piscina with billeted hoodmould; square-
headed north aumbry. Two monuments in chancel: Renaissance wall
monument contains kneeling effigies of ANTHONY PARTRIGE, died 1625,
and his wife by Baldwin of Stroud; entablature surmounted by
crest. Tablet with bolection moulding surmounted by mourners and
crest, inscribed to William Wolley, died 1670. Chapel contains
fine set of monuments, central chest with effigies in Derbyshire
alabaster, possibly carved by Edward Marshall, depict Sir William
Sandys of Misarden Park, died 1640, and wife Margaret Culpeper,
died 1644. Around base are effigies of all the children including,
at the west end, the infant mortalities. Further chest tomb with
painted stone effigy by Baldwin of WILLIAM KINGSTONE OF MISERDEN,
died 1614. Wall monuments in chapel include one with relief of
weeping angel inscribed to REVEREND SIR EDWIN WINSOR BAYNTUN
SANDYS BART., died 1838; and Baroque style monument to Michael
Wills, died 1943. Further fine nave monuments. Octagonal timber
pulpit in rich Perpendicular style is C19. Circular Norman bowl
font on cylindrical base. Some stained glass, mostly C20.
(W.J. Sheils, 'Miserden' in V.C.H. Glos. xi, 1976, pp 47-56; H.M.
and J. Taylor, Anglo-Saxon Architecture, 1965, pp 430-431; and D.
Verey, Cotswold Churches, 1976 and Gloucestershire: The Cotswolds,
Listing NGR: SO9362308935
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings