This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.9553 / 51°57'18"N
Longitude: -2.234 / 2°14'2"W
OS Eastings: 384015
OS Northings: 228557
OS Grid: SO840285
Mapcode National: GBR 1K1.611
Mapcode Global: VH93Z.73BX
Entry Name: Church of St Michael
Listing Date: 10 January 1955
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1091384
English Heritage Legacy ID: 134273
Location: Tirley, Tewkesbury, Gloucestershire, GL19
Civil Parish: Tirley
Traditional County: Gloucestershire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Gloucestershire
Church of England Parish: Tirley St Michael
Church of England Diocese: Gloucester
TIRLEY TIRLEY VILLAGE
SO 82 NW
3/153 Church of St. Michael
Anglican parish church. C13, C14, Perpendicular restored 1894.
Blue lias with sandstone quoins, tower rendered, red tile roof.
Nave with projecting south porch, chancel, west tower. Chancel
south wall; two 2-light Perpendicular windows with ogee cusped
trefoil-headed lights (partly restored) in rectangular surrounds,
flanking small C19 studded plank door within flat-chamfered
stilted-headed surround. Three-light C19 pointed east window with
Decorated style tracery and hood with carved head stops. Eroded
blue lias monument lower left, dated 1697. Window in north wall as
on south. Nave north wall; 3-light Perpendicular window with
carved spandrels and rectangular surround left, two C19 pointed
windows with quatrefoils and stopped hoods, interrupted coursing at
base of wall position of former north door. Three-light window
right with trefoil-headed lights in rectangular surround right.
Three-stage tower with diagonal buttresses, string between second
and third stages. Lower stage probably C13, pointed west window
with reticulated C14 tracery. Slit lights to first floor, single
belfry windows formerly with tracery with large stone slate
louvres, battlemented parapet with crocketed pinnacles at each
corner (restored). Square partially legible monument set in wall
on south side with date 1729, painted wooden face of clock above.
South wall of nave: 2-light Perpendicular window with ogee cusped
trefoil-headed lights in rectangular surround,left of porch. Two-
light pointed window with Decorated tracery, vesica and scroll-
moulded hood right of porch. Three-light Perpendicular window
carved spandrels in rectangular surround right. Timber-framed
gabled porch, restored C19. Side walls open above waist height,
former Tudor-arched doorhead with foliate spandrels in left-hand
wall. Plank door with strap hinges within flat-chamfered
segmental-headed surround (possibly remodelled).
Plastered interior: C13 double-chamfered pointed arch from nave to
tower now blocked with C19 part-glazed screen, similiar chancel
arch with painted Royal Coat of Arms (in deteriorated condition)
over. Stone steps up to former rood loft visible behind pointed
window in chancel on north side of chancel arch. Trefoil-headed
piscina low down in south wall of chancel.Coloured C19 tile floor
to nave. Chancel floor mainly C17 and C18 stone ledgers. Coloured
tile floor to sanctuary. Medieval wagon roofs to nave and chancel.
Decorative cusping with pendant at apex, at east end of roofing in
nave. Two tie beams acros nave with moulded soffits.
Fittings: C12 tub font inside south door. Early wooden monuments
chest with three locks and legs opposite south door. C19 wooden
pulpit and lectern. C19 pews and choir stalls. Choir stalls
against north and south walls of chancel made of reused C17
panelling incorporating lengths of friezes with lunette decoration.
C17 communion rail with turned balusters. C17 altar table with
turned legs. Two chairs flanking altar with backs made from C15
bench ends with blind tracery, finial at top of each chairback each
with face with protruding tongue.
Monuments: floor of chancel made up of C17 and C18 ledgers
including one to Thomas Halsey of Corse Court, died 1727 (q.v.
Tirley Court) and Alice his wife, died 1717, another to Henry
Browne of Tirley Court, son of Henry Browne of Hasfield Court
(q.v.), died 1659 and Richard son of John Browne of Cumberwood
(q.v.), died 1678, another to John Browne of Tirley Court, died
1656 and John Browne of Cumberwood, died 1681. South wall of
chancel: fine Baroque monument to Mrs Mary Browne, died 1717, third
daughter of John Browne senior of Cumberwood. Oval white marble
inscription panel within heavily draped stone surround with
heraldic shield at top and the faces of two winged cherubs below,
foliate decoration in and around draped surround, skull with laurel
leaf wreath at bottom. North wall of chancel: Renaissance style
monument to William Hurdman, died 1684. Oval slate stone
inscription panel Within wreathed surround. Purbeck marble barley
twist columns with Corinthian capitals either side. Broken
segmental pediment incorporating cherubs' heads, heraldic shield at
top flanked by 2 cherubs. Classical style monument to Anne Turton,
died 1642, wife of William Turton of West Bromwich, left. Painted
black inscription plaque with gold lettering, within limestone
surround with decorative scrollwork and small rosettes highlighted
in gold, broken segmental pediment with heraldic shield at centre.
Nave north wall: grey marble monument to Robert Brown Gittos, died
1724 and William Gittos, died 1726. Grey marble monument right of
chancel arch to Thomas Hopkins of Wigwood Farm (q.v.), died 1789
and other members of the Hopkins family. Heraldic shield at top.
Four C18 and early C19 slate stone benefaction tablets with incised
inscriptions, one with foliate border, either side of and above
south door. (David Verey, The Buildings of England; The Vale and
the Forest of Dean, 1980).
Listing NGR: SO8401128558
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings