This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 51.9867 / 51°59'12"N
Longitude: -2.2005 / 2°12'1"W
OS Eastings: 386325
OS Northings: 232050
OS Grid: SO863320
Mapcode National: GBR 1JP.GGC
Mapcode Global: VH93S.TB19
Entry Name: Southfield House and Garden Wall
Listing Date: 10 January 1955
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1091467
English Heritage Legacy ID: 134155
Location: Forthampton, Tewkesbury, Gloucestershire, GL19
Civil Parish: Forthampton
Traditional County: Gloucestershire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Gloucestershire
Church of England Parish: Forthampton St Mary
Church of England Diocese: Gloucester
SO 83 SE FORTHAMPTON -
2/35 Southfield House and garden wall
Detached house cnce used as rectory. Probably built c1732,
extended C19. Flemish bond red brick, red tile roof, brick stacks.
Asymmetrical 'H'-shaped, double-pile plan with C19 infill between
wings at rear, C19 projecting porch from south-east front. Two-
storeys and attic, cellar under north-west side of house. 1:1:1
windowed, symmetrical facade single bay wings extending forwards
either side of entrance. Mostly 16-pane sash windows with flush
frames. Moulded string between ground and first floors. Central
glazed door up 4 stone steps with small rectangular canopy
supported on wooden brackets over, slatted wooden shutters. Large
4-pane plate glass sash over flanked by marginal sashes. Two-light
hipped roof dormer above. South-east front; 12-pane sash with
horns lower left. Tall 3-light stairlight with wooden mullions and
transoms right. Central C19 porch with hipped roof with double
part-glazed door in left-hand wall. Large, part-glazed C18 door
within porch with wide glazing bars and 2 fielded panels at bottom.
Two Venetian sash windows first floor right. North-west front; 2
segmental stone steps, up to C18 six-panel door, moulded surround
continued around 8-pane light above. Segmental pediment over.
Wood-mullioned cross windows with glazing bars and segmental
relieving arches. Roof; hipped with modillion cornice,
projecting gable-end and axial stacks.
Interior; C18 fielded panelling in front right-hand room, modillion
cornice and C18 fireplace. Early-mid C18 open-well staircase with
barley twist balusters, two per tread, newels formed from 4
balusters arranged in square. Early-mid C18 dog-leg back stairs
with closed string and turned balusters. First floor; large room
right of main stairs (subdivided at a later date) with modillion
cornice with alternating rosettes. Grey marble fireplace with
lugged surround, egg and dart moulding and pulvinated frieze,
lugged over-mantel with swan-necked pediment and burning torch at
centre. Subsidiary features: wall around garden; brick wall up
to 5m high on north rectangular plan. Entrance to garden store
with plank door within brick Gibbs surround with triangular
pediment over and dentil decoration at eastern corner of garden.
Two square gate piers opposite porch on south-east front, with thin
limestone cappings (opening between piers now blocked). Two plank
doors at south corner right-hand door to small dove house landing
and two access holes half-way up door, single oval access hole in
wall right of door, similar hole in rear wall. History; a house
known as Lower House existed on this site in 1641. The present
alignment of walls on the north-west side of the house probably
reuses the footings of part of this house. The house was rebuilt
in the C18 by the Hayward family (q.v. monuments in churchyard).
Cellars not inspected.
Listing NGR: SO8632532050
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings