History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of St Catherine

A Grade II* Listed Building in Dumbleton, Gloucestershire

More Photos »
Approximate Location Map
Large Map »


Latitude: 52.0263 / 52°1'34"N

Longitude: -1.9447 / 1°56'40"W

OS Eastings: 403891

OS Northings: 236431

OS Grid: SP038364

Mapcode National: GBR 3M3.TC5

Mapcode Global: VHB16.7BSH

Entry Name: Church of St Catherine

Listing Date: 4 July 1960

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1091676

English Heritage Legacy ID: 135186

Location: Dumbleton, Tewkesbury, Gloucestershire, WR12

County: Gloucestershire

District: Tewkesbury

Civil Parish: Dumbleton

Traditional County: Gloucestershire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Gloucestershire

Church of England Parish: Wormington St Katharine

Church of England Diocese: Gloucester

Find accommodation in

Listing Text


2/90 Church of St Catherine



Small Anglican church. Reputed to have been built by the Abbot of
Hailes in 1475, probably on the site of a C12 church; altered
c1800; some fixtures by Ernest Gimson, installed 1926. West end
of nave rubble, otherwise random squared and dressed limestone;
stone slate roof with an ashlar stack; wooden bellcote. Small
nave with north and south aisles with dormers in the position of
transepts; chancel with parallel vestry on the north; small lean-
to on the south. West end: C20 nine-panel door probably by Ernest
Gimson, within a C18 entrance arch with paired columns either side,
blind trefoil-headed panels between each pair of columns which are
linked by a roll-moulded horizontal at the top; large trefoil-
headed window with leaded panes within an ovolo-moulded surround
with possibly earlier hood above. Five C12 corbels below the bell
turret including bears' heads and a pair of human faces. Buttress
with offsets at the east end of the south wall; three-light window
with trefoil heads to each light within a 4-centred arched surround
towards the east end; 2-light 4-centred arched window with
trefoil-headed lights towards the east end; wide blocked pointed-
arched opening below the dormer indicating position of former
crypt; stone with three differing incised consecration crosses clm
west of the sill of the dormer matching fenestration to the north
aisle. Chancel south wall: wide segmental-headed opening with
limestone blocking containing the brick head of a smaller
segmental-headed opening indicating the position of another crypt.
Perpendicular 3-light east window. Two C19 two-light windows with
cinquefoil-headed lights with moulded hoods to the north wall of
the vestry. White weatherboarded bell turret at the west end with
cinquefoil-headed 2-light openings with wooden louvres; leaded
battlements and pyramidal roof. Flat and stepped gable end coping.
C18 pointed finials to the east end of the nave and dormers.
Plastered interior: C20 facetted roofs to the nave and chancel,
similar roofs to the side aisles; flagged and plank flooring
installed 1926. Perpendicular 3-bay arcades with octagonal piers
with moulded capitals and matching responds. C14 chancel arch with
an almost round head and a continuous double flat chamfer; wide
moulded C19 Tudor-arched opening with engaged columns forming the
jambs from the chancel to the vestry; large restored trefoil-
headed piscina in the south wall of the chancel. Anglo-Saxon stone.
Crucifix, excavated from the grounds of Wormington Grange but said
to have originally come from Winchcombe Abbey, now reset in the east
wall of the south aisle. C15 octagonal stone font with blind
quatrefoils on each side. Simple oak pews; octagonal oak pulpit
with small fielded panels and communion rail with turned balusters
and lozenge decoration where installed and presumably designed by
Ernest Gimson in 1926. Rebuilt C17 oak choir stalls incorporating
large C17 carved panels with nulling and guilloche decoration and
C15 stall ends with blind crocketed arches. Mid-late C17 carved
oak chair and mid-late C18 chair in chancel. Altar comprises a
simple table presented in 1959. C17 carved oak chest in vestry.
Two late C17-early C18 chairs with pierced backs and restored seats
in the sanctuary. Tapestry curtains in north chancel arch from a
design by William Morris. Stained glass east window by William
Morris and Co. in memory of Francis Clayton of Birmingham, died
1912. Some well preserved fragments of C15 glass in the
westernmost window of the north and south aisles. Monuments on
chancel north wall from left to right: brass memorial plaque of
1900; oval slatestone tablet to Samuel Gist, Lord of the Manor,
died 1815. Chancel south wall from left to right: slatestone
memorial with decorative border to William Anderson, died 1796;
slatestone monument to John Partridge, former Rector, died 1775;
slatestone monument with decorative border to James Partridge,
former Rector, died 1734, inscriptions exfoliating at time of
resurvey - March 1987. Two simple matching limestone tablets with
crudely incised inscriptions below, one to John Partridge, former
Rector, one to Mary his wife, died 1700; early C15 incised grave
slab, depicting a man flanked by two wives with a very worn
inscription round the border. Brass to Anne Savage, died 1605
showing an interesting representation of a lady's bed chamber and
dress at the beginning of the C17, two heraldic shields either
side. White and black marble monument to Hon Mary Gist, died 1844
and two other similar C19 tablets by Lewis of Cheltenham.
(D. Verey, The Buildings of England, The Vale and the Forest of
Dean, 1980)

Listing NGR: SP0389136431

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.

Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.