This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.8281 / 51°49'41"N
Longitude: -2.1109 / 2°6'39"W
OS Eastings: 392453
OS Northings: 214391
OS Grid: SO924143
Mapcode National: GBR 2N2.757
Mapcode Global: VH94M.C9DX
Entry Name: Black Horse Ridge
Listing Date: 22 October 1987
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1091744
English Heritage Legacy ID: 135041
Location: Great Witcombe, Tewkesbury, Gloucestershire, GL4
Civil Parish: Great Witcombe
Traditional County: Gloucestershire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Gloucestershire
Church of England Parish: Brimpsfield St Michael
Church of England Diocese: Gloucester
GREAT WITCOMBE BIRDLIP VILLAGE
9/91 Black Horse Ridge
Former inn now house. C17 altered early C19 by R.A. Prothero.
Limestone rubble with dressed stone quoins; pebble dash and render
in places; corrugated tile roof; brick stacks. Rectangular plan
with later extensions at right angles to rear. Two storeys, attic
and cellar. Three-windowed facade. Two single-light windows
with dressed stone surrounds lower right, probably lighting the
cellar. Ground floor from right to left: C20 two-light stone-
mullioned casement; single-light C20 casement with flat-chamfered
surround; 3-light canted bay lit by one 16-pane and two 12-pane
sashes far left, with a flat roof which is continued to the right
to form a porch sheltering a plank doorway with rectangular stone
tablet with the inscription "THE / COTTESWOLD NATURALISTS / FIELD
CLUB / FIRST MET HERE / ON 7 JULY 1846'; blocked single-light
window to the right. Three late C19-early C20 stone-mullioned
casements, two with leaded panes to the first floor: single
central hipped 2-light roof dormer. Two single-light windows with
flat-chamfered surrounds to the left gable end, timber lintel to
the left suggests there may once have been a gable entry. Gable-
end stacks. An inn until 1900 when it was lived in and altered by
R.A. Prothero (q.v. Leckhampton Court). Interior not inspected
but reputed to contain a room with C17 panelling according to D.
Verey, The Buildings of England: The Cotswolds, 1979.
Listing NGR: SO9245314391
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings