This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 51.9227 / 51°55'21"N
Longitude: -2.0936 / 2°5'37"W
OS Eastings: 393658
OS Northings: 224908
OS Grid: SO936249
Mapcode National: GBR 2LX.KHJ
Mapcode Global: VH941.NXKZ
Entry Name: Swindon Hall
Listing Date: 25 February 1987
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1091892
English Heritage Legacy ID: 134551
Location: Swindon, Cheltenham, Gloucestershire, GL51
Civil Parish: Swindon
Built-Up Area: Cheltenham
Traditional County: Gloucestershire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Gloucestershire
Church of England Parish: Swindon and Cheltenham St Peter
Church of England Diocese: Gloucester
1367/16/143 SWINDON VILLAGE
Large detached house, subdivided into four dwellings in 1949. Late C17/early C18 origins, considerably rebuilt and extended in 1845-50 for J. Surman Surman. Brick with gauged and rubbed arches and limestone ashlar quoins, windows architraves, cornicing and string courses. Concrete tile roof; ashlar and brick stacks.
PLAN: former main fa?ade is east-facing, a long wing (which includes remains of the earlier house built around an axial stack) extending to west making an overall L-plan, there being other mid C19 ranges and a mid C20 range (to north) placed at right angles against the south side of this rear wing.
EXTERIOR: 2 storeys. Symmetrical 5-windowed east facade, all with
stone-mullioned cross-windows, in Domestic Revival style. Band between floors. Triangular pediment in cement render, added in 1949, has large circular boss (from old dining room) showing badge of Henry VIII. Projecting moulded cornice with moulded brackets to left and right-hand returns. Single-storey, single-bay Italianate extensions to right and left-hand returns with round-headed archways at front and along their sides. Double doors at front of left-hand extension, twin sashes set within the archways in left-hand return. Double doors
in right-hand return of right-hand extension. Moulded cornice to
both extensions divided by square columns. Left-hand return
formerly formed entrance front with single-storey canted projecting
flat-roofed ashlar bay with casements set into round-headed
archways. Glazed doors set within a round-headed surround at
front. Three-bay open-fronted lean-to with bays divided by square
limestone piers to right.
North-facing wing extends to rear right (west); 2 storeys and
attic with four 2-light roof dormer (the westerly pair late C20) and a 9-
windowed facade. This includes some C18 brickwork, it being most probable that it was refaced in 1840-5. All stone-mullioned cross windows, to wooden casements and sashes, with gauged brick heads and keystones. Moulded cornice with stone brackets. Limestone band over ground floor windows. Saddleback coping with
ball finials on moulded kneelers at gable ends, the west gable being a complete rebuild if 1840-5. Single-storey wing in SW corner probably results from bomb damage in WWII.
INTERIOR: Gutted and remodelled as a result of fire damage in 1949. No 3 has mid C19 flush-beaded doors and joinery to casements and sashes. Barrel-vaulting to brick cellar, this including some brickwork of late C17/early C18 date.
HISTORICAL NOTE: The Surman family, from Tredington Court, first occupied a house on this site (which probably survives within this structure) in c1700.
Listing NGR: SO9365824908
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings