History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Stable Block and House Immeadiately North West of Church of St Mary

A Grade II Listed Building in Baughurst, Hampshire

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »


Latitude: 51.3075 / 51°18'26"N

Longitude: -1.1834 / 1°11'0"W

OS Eastings: 457017

OS Northings: 156802

OS Grid: SU570568

Mapcode National: GBR 94G.TYG

Mapcode Global: VHD00.FDRJ

Entry Name: Stable Block and House Immeadiately North West of Church of St Mary

Listing Date: 10 January 1953

Last Amended: 18 May 1984

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1092558

English Heritage Legacy ID: 137974

Location: Baughurst, Basingstoke and Deane, Hampshire, RG26

County: Hampshire

District: Basingstoke and Deane

Civil Parish: Baughurst

Traditional County: Hampshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Hampshire

Church of England Parish: Wolverton with Ewhurst St Catherine

Church of England Diocese: Winchester

Find accommodation in
Monk Sherborne

Listing Text


Stable block and house
immediately north-west
of Church of St Mary
(formerly listed as
Ewhurst Farmhouse and
Stables at Ewhurst


Late C18. Formerly 3 blocks arranged in a U-shape with the taller central part facing
east; the south wing has gone but the north wing remains, the house attached to
Its north side. Symmetrical treatment of 2-storeys, 1-1.1 windows. The taller block
has a tiled mansard roof (originally a plain nipped form) enclosing the lower part of
a 2 stage bell turret; this has a square base with moulded cornice, corner pilasters
and boarded walling with a clockface, above this is a square arcaded bellcote with a
leaded dome, ball finial and vane. Walling is in red brickwork Flemish bond, with a
deep brick-dentilled eaves, raised in the projected centre as a steep pediment, which
encloses a blind arch; flush blue outlines to arches, circular openings and
pilasters, plinth. A plain stone frieze below the impost section of the eaves is
supported (on each side) by coupled pilasters with Doric stone caps. The upper part
has a roundel in each section, on the ground floor are 2 carriage openings with
cambered arches and an arched doorway to the north side. Leaded lights within wood
frames. At the north end, across the gap to the wing, there is a high cambered arch
with a stone key, set against side pilasters with stone impost blocks, and above a low
pediment with stone coping and horizontal band. The inner (south) face of the north
wing has a hipped tile roof, central open pediment, red brick walling in Flemish bond,
arches to the ground floor, the central upper opening (now filled with blue headers)
having a white surround, and fanlight to the 6-panelled door. The house has a
symmetrical north elevation of 2 storeys, 1.1.1 windows. ½-hipped tile roof, brick
dentil eaves (once raised in the centre as a pediment). Red brick walling in Flemish
bond, 2 plain pilasters dividing the bays, cambered openings, at each side are
semi-circular panels with white key, arch, and cill, lying between the upper and lowe
windows. Leaded casements. Boarded door in plain opening.

Listing NGR: SU5665359212

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.