History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of St Stephen

A Grade II* Listed Building in Baughurst, Hampshire

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »


Latitude: 51.3356 / 51°20'8"N

Longitude: -1.1658 / 1°9'56"W

OS Eastings: 458210

OS Northings: 159941

OS Grid: SU582599

Mapcode National: GBR 949.6AW

Mapcode Global: VHCZT.RP1H

Entry Name: Church of St Stephen

Listing Date: 16 May 1966

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1092592

English Heritage Legacy ID: 137960

Location: Baughurst, Basingstoke and Deane, Hampshire, RG26

County: Hampshire

District: Basingstoke and Deane

Civil Parish: Baughurst

Traditional County: Hampshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Hampshire

Church of England Parish: Baughurst St Stephen

Church of England Diocese: Winchester

Find accommodation in

Listing Text



1845, by Ferry, replacing a medieval building. Ferry was a fellow-pupil of Pugin and
this Early English design represents advanced scholarship for its date. Chancel of 2
bays, with vestry on the north side, nave of 4 bays, and Tower above the south porch
(3rd bay). Steep tile roof. Walling of flint with stone dressings, eaves fascia on
brackets, hood moulds linked to impost moulded band, cill band, plinth, stepped
buttresses; at the west end a doorway of circa 1200 (from the old church) has been
incorporated, with slender shafts. Lancets and coupled lancets beneath cusped plate
tracery, the east end has 3 lancets below a circular window. The west has 2 lancets
set within an external 5-arched arcade beneath a triangular (segmental) opening,
having 3 circular lights. The tower has 4 stages, the 2nd having battered corners
forming an octagonal base to the 3rd stage, which has small double lancets to each
face and ends in a parapet, the 4th being a stone spire. Within there is a C15
Perpendicular octagonal font, the remains of a C15 wood screen, a Thomas Sympson
bequest brass of 1674, and several C18 monuments. Of 1845, there is a stone
pulpit, the prescriptions in 2 lancet panels set in the well opposite the door, and
some stained glass (including 2 heraldic designs in the south side of the chancel),
and an arch-braced hammer-beam roof.

Listing NGR: SU5665359212

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.