This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 51.2581 / 51°15'29"N
Longitude: -0.761 / 0°45'39"W
OS Eastings: 486553
OS Northings: 151722
OS Grid: SU865517
Mapcode National: GBR D9S.0FH
Mapcode Global: VHDXW.RMJX
Plus Code: 9C3X765Q+6H
Entry Name: South East District Headquarters Building of General Officers Commanding
Listing Date: 17 April 1975
Last Amended: 4 February 1999
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1092611
English Heritage Legacy ID: 137895
Location: Rushmoor, Hampshire, GU11
Electoral Ward/Division: Wellington
Built-Up Area: Aldershot
Traditional County: Hampshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Hampshire
Church of England Parish: Aldershot Holy Trinity
Church of England Diocese: Guildford
SU 85 SE
(North East side)
Headquarters office. Dated 1895, foundation stone laid 1894 by the Duke of Connaught. Brick with Portland stone, rubbed brick and terracotta dressings, brick stacks to ridge and below the ridge, and slate hipped roof Artisan Mannerist style. Double-depth plan with rear wings enclosing a courtyard. EXTERIOR: 2 storeys; 4:6:3:6:4-window range. Central and end sections set forward with thin outer pilaster strips, paired windows set in shallow raised panels with a string between the floors, and bracketed caves; central section has pilaster strips between windows to tall pediment with stone mouldings, ashlar porch with paired Tuscan columns to entablature and balustrade, double half-glazed doors with overlight and 10-pane sidelights, outer first-floor windows have blind balustrades and terracotta segmental pediments, central tripartite window has a pediment broken by a panel with Royal Coat of Arms inscribed DIEU ET MON DROIT, and an oculus in the pediment with enriched surround inscribed VR,. Windows with rubbed brick heads and hoods for blinds, keyed on ground floor, to homed 6/6-pane sashes. Rear has a large central stair light with 3 tall round-arched windows. INTERIOR: has a central hall with a mosaic floor inscribed VR, 1895, divided by a segmental arch on pilasters, to a rear cast-iron Imperial stair with cast-iron columns forming newels, perforated risers, and iron balusters with a central roundel; axial passage with elliptical arches and pilasters, and 6-panel doors. HISTORY: the Military Headquarters in Aldershot, and associated with many national military figures. A particularly enriched example of a typical late C19 officers quarters building, with notable iron stairs. (Childerhouse T: Military Aldershot, the first fifty years: London: 1990-).
Listing NGR: SU8596151712
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings