This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 51.3193 / 51°19'9"N
Longitude: -1.1276 / 1°7'39"W
OS Eastings: 460891
OS Northings: 158156
OS Grid: SU608581
Mapcode National: GBR 94J.9Q3
Mapcode Global: VHD01.D3QH
Entry Name: Pamber Priory Priory Church of the Holy Trinity, Our Lady, and St John the Baptist
Listing Date: 26 April 1957
Last Amended: 17 October 1984
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1092954
English Heritage Legacy ID: 138734
Location: Monk Sherborne, Basingstoke and Deane, Hampshire, RG26
District: Basingstoke and Deane
Civil Parish: Monk Sherborne
Traditional County: Hampshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Hampshire
Church of England Parish: The Sherbornes with Pamber
Church of England Diocese: Winchester
SU 65 NW MONK SHERBORNE
26.4.57 Pamber Priory:
Priory Church of the
Holy Trinity, Our Lady,
and St John the Baptist
(formerly listed as
Church of St Mary
and St John)
C12, C13. Founded by Henry de Port in the time of Henry I as a dependency of St Vigor Carasy, Normandy, and suppressed as an alien priory in 1446, eventually passing to Queens College, Oxford (the present patrons), which carried out restorations in 1843 and 1936. The surviving part of the priory church comprises the Early English choir and the Norman Tower, with fragments embodied in a wall on a line westwards from the south-west corner of the tower. The choir has 4 tall lancets on each side at the east end, a triple lancet east window, and at the western end 2 low pointed arches on rectangular piers (once opening onto side chapels) now walled on the outside to form recesses, 3 containing medieval slabs and one a fine C13 wooden effigy of a cross-legged knight. There are floor slabs, C15 pews; a small area of north wall with fragments of C13 wall painting, and a trefoil-headed piscina. The tower is supported on round arches with stages resting on plain caps, the upper level having on each face 3 arches, the outer containing windows, and a (restoration) open timber frame to support a ceiling and a pyramid roof. An C18 wooden screen separates the tower from the chancel; the other 3 sides to the former crossing are formed by later walls, the west containing a central entrance, the north having doorways in a modem vestry.
Externally, the roofing is of tile, with a low-pitched slate roof above the vestry. The chair walls are of flint (partly plastered), with stone dressings, the tower of stone rubble with ashlar features. A stair turret projects from the north-west corner of the crossing, and buttresses occur on the lines of the walls of the former transepts and nave. A C15 font occupies the centre of the floor beneath the tower, and there are several medieval coffin slabs on the east side.
Other nearby listed buildings