This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 51.1427 / 51°8'33"N
Longitude: -1.595 / 1°35'42"W
OS Eastings: 428426
OS Northings: 138241
OS Grid: SU284382
Mapcode National: GBR 621.CJZ
Mapcode Global: VHC33.9JMT
Entry Name: Church of St Peter
Listing Date: 29 May 1957
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1093127
English Heritage Legacy ID: 140367
Location: Over Wallop, Test Valley, Hampshire, SO20
District: Test Valley
Civil Parish: Over Wallop
Built-Up Area: Over Wallop
Traditional County: Hampshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Hampshire
Church of England Parish: Over Wallop St Peter
Church of England Diocese: Winchester
SU 2838 OVER WALLOP STATION ROAD
8/32 CHURCH OF ST PETER
Church. C12 nave with C13 E part of nave and aisles, C15 clerestory, chancel
and tower rebuilt by J L Pearson 1866, rest restored 1875. Flint with brick
and stone dressing, old plain tile roof. Plan of chancel with S W organ chamber,
clerestoried nave with low aisles, S W porch and W tower. C19 chancel has 3
E lancets with bands of dressed stone and brick in flint either side. Buttresses
to corners and 2 below window. On sides 2-light, with round light in head,
windows. To S outshot organ chamber. Tall nave with clerestory and at E gable
wall on S side stepping down to E end of aisle. In clerestory to N 2 and to S 3
C15 squareheaded 2-light trefoiled windows. In N aisle at E early C14 3-light
trefoiled window with tracery in head and hood mould with stops, at W round
headed door restored of C12 origin, and to N 3 C15 square headed 3-light window
cinquefoiled windows. On S aisle in centre similar window at E and W restored
C14 square headed 2 or 3-light trefoiled windows. Towards W C19 gabled porch
with diagonal buttresses and inside late C12 roundheaded doorway with keel roll.
To W C19 lancet. W tower has plinth, NE stair tower to 2nd stage. Tall lancet
to W and small round headed lancet on N,W & S faces on 2nd stage. C19 top stage
of 2 louvred bell openings on each face. Saddle back roof. Inside chancel E
lancets have rear arches of clusters of columns supporting 2 order arches.
Reredos of painted scenes with green marble columns between supporting moulded
cornice. In SE corner reset C13 piscina with shelf, and C19 sedilia. Iron
altar rail and free-standing brass candelabra. Pointed barrel vaulted roof.
Tall chancel arch with foliage capitals and banded shafts. Under on stone plinth
light wrought screen linked at N to similar pulpit on stone base. Nave has
4 bay arcades. To N E bays C13 rebuilt C19 of 2 chamfered orders W bays C12
round arches of 2 square and round orders, chamfered label and hollow fluted
capitals on round columns. 5 arcade remodelled C19 pointed arches of 2 chamfered
orders on circular moulded capitals and columns, but square responds, originally
C13. C19 king post roof. To S aisle at E C14 2-light trefoiled window with
quatrefoil in head. In nave C15 octagonal font with traceried panels on bowl and
shaft and C18 cover. Pointed 2 ordered tower arch with chamfered imposts. Under
tower C18 benefactors board. Memorials 1760 to Mr Joshua Brown john, 1795 to '
Joshua Brownjohn, 1802 to John Brown john. Bells C17 and C18 VCH; 1908;
Vol 3; p 533-4. Pevsner; 1966; p368.
Listing NGR: SU2847838345
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings