This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.2303 / 51°13'48"N
Longitude: -1.6581 / 1°39'29"W
OS Eastings: 423965
OS Northings: 147953
OS Grid: SU239479
Mapcode National: GBR 60T.TW7
Mapcode Global: VHC2P.6BRQ
Entry Name: St Marys Chapel of Rest
Listing Date: 20 December 1960
Last Amended: 15 March 1999
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1093200
English Heritage Legacy ID: 140131
Location: Tidworth, Wiltshire, SP9
Civil Parish: Tidworth
Built-Up Area: Tidworth
Traditional County: Hampshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Wiltshire
Church of England Parish: TidworthHoly Trinity
Church of England Diocese: Salisbury
SU 34 NW
St Mary's Chapel of Rest
(Formerly listed as Chapel of St Mary)
Formerly listed in the Borough of Test Valley, Hampshire.
Cemetery chapel. Mainly early C19. The building is said to be on the site of an older church, and lies within a graveyard, having tombstones of the late C18, most of the structure is of the early C19. Flint and tile. A single cell, with a western porch and stone bell-turret. Plain roof. Flint walls with stone dressings, bands to the west gable, short flat buttresses at the west ends. The east wall has a C14 traceried 3-light window (from the old church) and there is a small lancet at each side: the plain porch has a pointed arch with keystone. Within, there is dado panelling throughout, richer in the raised sanctuary, which has a communion rail of turned balusters. On each side wall there are monuments of several dates including 1647, 1730, 1775, 1806 and 1855. There is a veined marble C18 font with a moulded oval basin on a baluster of elongated-octagonal plan.
Listing NGR: SU2396747957
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings