This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.1848 / 51°11'5"N
Longitude: -1.6679 / 1°40'4"W
OS Eastings: 423309
OS Northings: 142897
OS Grid: SU233428
Mapcode National: GBR 61C.R3P
Mapcode Global: VHC2W.1HM1
Entry Name: Range of Buildings Immediately North and West of Home Farm House
Listing Date: 9 March 1988
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1093214
English Heritage Legacy ID: 140164
Location: Amport, Test Valley, Hampshire, SP4
District: Test Valley
Civil Parish: Amport
Traditional County: Hampshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Hampshire
Church of England Parish: Cholderton
Church of England Diocese: Salisbury
SU 24 SW AMPORT CHOLDERTON PARK
Immediately north and
west of Home Farm House
Byres, stabling, barn etc. Late C19; central gateway on north side by Crickmay and
Sons for H.C. Stephens M.P. Unknapped flint and chalk cob, with brick dressings
and plinths, roofs mostly early asbestos cement slates or double Roman clay tiles.
In form of quadrangle, open to south-east corner. Single-storey, with some lofts.
Principal range on north side has central gateway, the gable above timber framed
with diagonal brick nogging to lower panels and rendering over; 6 bays to either
side marked by brick piers, the roofs having raised centre sections for ventilation
and being crowned with ornamental tiles, with a bandof (original) patent glazing
on south side: projecting gable to north-east-corner with doorway and segmental-arched
left door over: on north west corner projects a lower chalk cob building with hipped
plain clay tiled roof, and a length of some 55 metres of cob walling,with sloped
tile capping,extends westwards. On south side of this north range, other than central
throughway, are several doorways; that in north-west corner an A-centre-arched moulded
doorway with framed and boarded door, having a 3-light mullioned store window without
label immediately east. East range in cob with double-Roman tiled roof, the central
portion raised with half-hipped roof, having a wide 3-centre-arched doorway above
which is a 9-light transomed casement under a band of weatherboarding: 3 bays to
each side of crosswing, the outer bays having matching casement windows of varying
widths and the centre bays doorways with fanlight over. The west range is of open
byres, with the roof in two sections; the north half set slightly higher, with collared
queen-post roof trusses and wind-braced frame, is covered with double Roman tiles,
the south section has similar framing but red asbestos cement slate coverings. South
range has raised floors on a flint and brick plinth, with plain collar-truss roofs
and timber boarded walls, with a brick-walled extension under a catslide roof on
the north side. Although the buildings may not be all of one date, they have obviously
been planned to vary materials and form so as to give an overall picturesque effect.
(Undated but signed drawing of the north through gateway in Wiltshire Record Office,
Cat. No. 1894 Ser. 42 M).
Listing NGR: SU2334942847
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings