This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 51.2181 / 51°13'5"N
Longitude: -1.5988 / 1°35'55"W
OS Eastings: 428114
OS Northings: 146626
OS Grid: SU281466
Mapcode National: GBR 612.JLJ
Mapcode Global: VHC2Q.7NM1
Entry Name: Church of St Peter and St Paul
Listing Date: 21 December 1960
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1093222
English Heritage Legacy ID: 140080
Location: Kimpton, Test Valley, Hampshire, SP11
District: Test Valley
Civil Parish: Kimpton
Traditional County: Hampshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Hampshire
Church of England Parish: Kimpton St Peter and St Paul
Church of England Diocese: Winchester
SU 2846 KIMPTON KIMPTON
7/17 Church of St. Peter
& St. Paul
Parish church. C13, C14, C15, C18, 1837, restorations of 1894 and 1896.
Cruciform church with a south aisle to the nave, south porch, and western tower.
Flint & stone rubble, flint and brick, and a tile roof. Single cell nave and
chancel of c1220 with lancets in the chancel, and blocked north door in the nave;
transepts of the C14 (the north earlier) with Decorated traceried windows and
ogee cusped openings (2 squints). C14 arcade of 3 bays with a narrow south aisle,
with wall restored in the C18 (exterior plaque dated 1702) with 2 small windows.
Tile roof of continuous ridge, slightly-lower transept roof, low eaves to the south
aisle. Walls of flint and stone rubble with stone dressings, cement render to the
chancel which has clasped buttresses to the middle height at the eastern corners.
The tower of 1837 is of 2 main stages, with a parapet with central gablets to each
face, flat buttresses with shallow steps, coupled lancets to the bell stage and a
larger lancet west window: the features of the walling are expressed in red brick
work with complex intermediate patterns of flush flint panelling. Windows are a
mixture of lancets, coupled lights with reticulate trace , small lights of ogee
form with cusps, and 2 perpendicular windows (in the nave . Within, there is a
Gothic cusped tomb recess in the north wall of the chancel near the altar, and a
similar recess (altered by the insertion of a window) in the south wall of the
south transept; there are piscinas to the chancel and south transept. The floor
of the chancel has many monumental slabs from the late 17th to the early C19, and
there are several wall monuments within the same date range. The north wall of
the north transept (the Shoddesdon Chapel) has a small altar tomb (with inlays for
brasses now gone) partly buried in the wall, and above is a late-Gothic stone frame
with decorated head and panelled sides, enclosing 3 brasses (of Robert Thornborough
and his 2 wives) and an inscription brass dated 1522. The north wall of the nave
contains a painted board of the Royal Coat of Arms (of George III 1812) and the
west end of the aisle has a Victorian font. The gable to the south porch has
diagonal boarding above a brick face.
Listing NGR: SU2821446647
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings