This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 51.1682 / 51°10'5"N
Longitude: -1.503 / 1°30'10"W
OS Eastings: 434847
OS Northings: 141111
OS Grid: SU348411
Mapcode National: GBR 733.QTV
Mapcode Global: VHC2Y.WWTV
Entry Name: Barn and Attached Shelter Sheds and Yard Wall
Listing Date: 9 October 1989
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1093351
English Heritage Legacy ID: 139772
Location: Goodworth Clatford, Test Valley, Hampshire, SP11
District: Test Valley
Civil Parish: Goodworth Clatford
Traditional County: Hampshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Hampshire
Church of England Parish: Goodworth Clatford St Peter
Church of England Diocese: Winchester
SU 34 SW GOODWORTH CLATFORD FULLERTON ROAD
2/1 Barn and attached
shelter sheds and
Barn and attached shelter sheds and yard wall. Barn probably late C18, byres and
wall early-mid C19. Flint, with brick quoins, vertical strips, lacing courses and
butresses. Welsh slate roofs, barn previously tiled or thatched. Courtyard plan,
with aisled 6-bay barn forming right (north-east) side, shelter sheds forming rear
and left sides, and wall across front. Barn: north-east elevation: cart-entry to
bay 4 has board double door and rises above eaves under hipped roof; left bay has
bead-moulded board double door; hipped roof. Yard elevation: opposing cart-entry
with board doors; at right end board door under segmental header brick arch.
South-east gable has raked butresses. Yard wall is approx 2 metres high having
domed brick coping and entrances at centre and on right. Shelter sheds are open-
fronted with wooden posts on chamfered padstones, the original posts square with
triangular-stopped chamfered arrises; some replacement posts; hipped roof.
Interior: barn: jowelled arcade posts rise from brick walls projecting from walls
and are braced to wall plate, arcade plate, and tie beams; curved queen strut roof
trusses; butt purlins; long straight wind braces; old rafters; plank ridge piece.
Original partition dividing off end bay has brick and flint plinth wall supporting
weather-boarded timber-framed superstructure. Cart-entry jamb posts have slotted
base-posts (to receive planks to partly block entrances when threshing). The
arcade posts at the cart-entries have incised graffitti the earliest dates being
in the 1820s. Shelter sheds: King-post roof trusses with raked struts, the
king-posts bolted on to tie-beams; clasped purlins; plank ridge pieces, the rear
walls have timber plates, possibly used to support man-gers. The buildings were
in a dilapidated state at time of inspection. The 1808 tithe map shows the
existing enclosure within which the yard is located; it does not appear on the
1735 tithe map.
Listing NGR: SU3586041728
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings