This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.0964 / 51°5'46"N
Longitude: -1.5101 / 1°30'36"W
OS Eastings: 434401
OS Northings: 133121
OS Grid: SU344331
Mapcode National: GBR 742.3AT
Mapcode Global: FRA 76Q7.3J5
Entry Name: Houghton Lodge
Listing Date: 7 February 1986
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1093833
English Heritage Legacy ID: 140718
Location: Houghton, Test Valley, Hampshire, SO20
District: Test Valley
Civil Parish: Houghton
Traditional County: Hampshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Hampshire
Church of England Parish: Houghton All Saints
Church of England Diocese: Winchester
HOUGHTON HOUGHTON LODGE
SU 33 SW
Fishing Lodge. Circa 1800, possibly by J Nash for Pitt-Rivers family. Stuccoed
brick with stud frame, and yellow brick additions, old plain tile roof, later
slate roofs. Main block 1 1/2 storey, 6 bay double pile with projecting bowed bay
to rear, garden side, in centre. To N end, left of entrance front, 1 1/2 storey
with C20 attic mansard, 4 bay link wing connecting to mid C19 service court-yard
of continuing 1 1/2 storey, 4 bay range with at far end at right angles 4 bay
carriage/garage range with archway at far end and at right angles return wing of
5 bays of stable, parallel to 1st. Front of house has to left bay late C19 pent-
roofed porch with fish-scale tiles and pointed arches. Under tall 4-panel Gothic
door with carved fanwork in head, entrance from right side, single round light
beside. Centre bays have pointed openings with double doors, between external
shouldered side stack, crest mounted on it, cut off at eaves. Each side of these
bays, and near right end, added pilaster containing downpipe, in bays either side
quatrefoil stairlight. Moulded stucco eaves. To centre and end bays 2-light
casements with Gothic fanlight over in tall gabled dormers with carved bargeboards.
Roof hipped with decorated ridge tiles and behind ridge each side of centre bays
stacks of 4 detached moulded brick shafts and 2 similar on right hip. Right end
extended in C20 with outshot with, on end, pointed double French doors and similar
dormers over. Garden front of 3 wide bays, centre bay large projecting bow with
beehive roof, then to right N link of 4 bays. In front of all mid C19 glazed cast-
iron frame verandah. To centre bow 3 and to left bay one pointed double door,
with blind quatrefoils above centre bow door. In right bay ornate Gothic,
almost Islamic, pointed double doors. Over end bays, 3-light casements under
Gothic fanlights in gabled dormers. Roof hipped with central beehive roof and
moulded brick stacks on ridge either side. Inside bowed bay, circular music
room with sky painted domed ceiling and Blue-John chimneypiece. To left dining
room has columned screen and dark panelling and fine marble chimeypiece. Behind
music room original hall with double doors on entrance front and rounded end.
Music room, with central pointed door and chimneypiece on curved wall each side.
Each side of hall staircase, main one dogleg. Left of music room enlarged drawing
room. Country Life; 1951; p1190 and p1280.
Listing NGR: SU3439633115
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings