This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 51.1479 / 51°8'52"N
Longitude: -0.9759 / 0°58'33"W
OS Eastings: 471730
OS Northings: 139237
OS Grid: SU717392
Mapcode National: GBR C9B.S4Y
Mapcode Global: VHDYC.1DFV
Entry Name: 8 and 10, Turk Street
Listing Date: 31 March 1977
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1094142
English Heritage Legacy ID: 141886
Location: Alton, East Hampshire, Hampshire, GU34
District: East Hampshire
Civil Parish: Alton
Built-Up Area: Alton
Traditional County: Hampshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Hampshire
Church of England Parish: The Resurrection Alton
Church of England Diocese: Winchester
903/2/90 TURK STREET
31-MAR-1977 8 AND 10
House. Early to mid C15.
MATERIALS: Timber framing; brick; façade rendered and painted; clay-tile roof.
PLAN: 3 bays, one-and-a-half storeys high. Original plan appears to have comprised central open hall, a parlour to the right (W) and a service bay to the left (E), which was divided laterally into two rooms. The hall was later floored, possibly in the later C16, and the ground-floor plan subdivided by the insertion of narrow service rooms along the rear of the three bays. The building became 2 dwellings at an unknown date (before C19), but is now a single house. Straight-flight stair between E and central bay, and second straight stair between front and rear room of W bay. Framing between central and N bay partly removed at ground floor, upper floor rear rooms subdivided.
EXTERIOR: Modern casement windows. Front (N) elevation has 2 entrances (that to W is a remodelled C17 or early C18 2-panel door). Hipped roof with dormers and small gablets, ridge parallel to street.
INTERIOR: Chimneybreasts placed in SW corners of central and E bay between front and rear rooms; that to E has exposed bressumer. Most of the original, axially-laid joists survive in the parlour bay, and mortices in the central joist of the service bay shows that it was originally divided into what are conventionally called a pantry and buttery. Most joinery and fittings are modern. Roof structure virtually intact. Trusses have curved braces which fan outwards from the tie beam to the principal rafters, with a central strut between tie and collar beams. Staved partitions survive above collars; that between central and W bay has lost its infill.
HISTORY: The earliest reference to this site in Turk Street is in 1328, when it was bequeathed by one John Clyve of Alton to Nicholas Wodecote and his wife, also of Alton. The site was acquired by Winchester College in 1480, and it remained in the College's ownership until 1888. An extensive dendrochronology survey of Hampshire houses has shown that the 'fan' roof trusses, a feature of this county, are found in only in houses dated in between 1400-1460.
SUMMARY OF IMPORTANCE: Of special interest as an early-to-mid C15 timber-framed 3-bay hall house whose medieval and early post-medieval plans remain clearly legible. It retains a substantial proportion of its wall framing and roof structure.
SOURCES: Edward Roberts, Hampshire Houses 1250-1700 (2003), 177.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings