This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 50.8004 / 50°48'1"N
Longitude: -1.3957 / 1°23'44"W
OS Eastings: 442684
OS Northings: 100268
OS Grid: SU426002
Mapcode National: GBR 891.MZH
Mapcode Global: FRA 76ZZ.648
Entry Name: Church of St Katherine
Listing Date: 10 June 1987
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1094359
English Heritage Legacy ID: 143408
Location: Exbury and Lepe, New Forest, Hampshire, SO45
District: New Forest
Civil Parish: Exbury and Lepe
Traditional County: Hampshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Hampshire
Church of England Parish: Exbury St Katherine
Church of England Diocese: Winchester
EXBURY AND LEPE EXBURY
SU 40 SW
12/5 Church of St Katherine
Parish church. 1907 by J O Scott and Son, replacing church of 1827, itself
built to replace a medieval church at Lower Exbury. Coursed squared
Swanage stone, Chilmark stone dressings,old plain tile roof. Late C19
Gothic but not Free Gothic of the Arts and Crafts, details in Decorated and
Perpendicular style. Plan of 1 bay chancel and 4 bay nave under same roof,
north and south transeptual vestry and organ chamber, north-west tower and
against east side 1/2-octagonal memorial chapel. East end has
3-trefoiled-light pointed window, kneelered gable and angle buttresses.
Wider nave has gabled transepts with square-headed cinquefoiled window on
ends, to south corbelled bellcote at top of gable, to north chimney on
side. Centre 2 nave bays have 2-cinquefoiled-light pointed windows with
buttress between. On south-west gabled porch with pointed arch. Chapel
has, on forward face, facing east, small 2-light window. Ashlar parapet.
West end has 3-cinquefoiled-light, with daggers over, window. Tower
projects to west with clasping stair turret. Pointed 2-light windows. Top
stage has two 2-trefoiled light louvred bell-openings set back in paired
squareheaded pointed reveal. Crenellated parapet. Interior is
well-proportioned with high-quality fittings. Memorial chapel contains
monument by Cecil Thomas, 1919 to John and Alfred Forster, of bronze, a
soldiers effigy on tomb-chest with tall candlesticks. C13 Purbeck font
probably from old church.
Listing NGR: SP3668912487
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings