This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 50.9259 / 50°55'33"N
Longitude: -1.0104 / 1°0'37"W
OS Eastings: 469649
OS Northings: 114517
OS Grid: SU696145
Mapcode National: GBR BBN.WXY
Mapcode Global: FRA 86SN.D7B
Entry Name: Church of All Saints
Listing Date: 16 March 1954
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1094569
English Heritage Legacy ID: 142918
Location: Horndean, East Hampshire, Hampshire, PO8
District: East Hampshire
Civil Parish: Horndean
Built-Up Area: Catherington
Traditional County: Hampshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Hampshire
Church of England Parish: Catherington All Saints
Church of England Diocese: Portsmouth
SU 61 SE HORNDEAN CATHERINGTON LANE
8/2 Church of All Saints
Parish church. All medieval periods, mainly late C12, restored 1883 by Edmund Ferrey.
The flint walls are mostly Victorian, but the stone dressings have original as
well as restoration details; small stepped buttresses, and a massive brick buttress
at the east end. Tile roof, extending over the aisles, separate roof to the north
chapel, Nave and chancel of the same width with continuous arcade, large north
chapel, south transept, north and south aisles, tower at the west end of the south
aisle. The round arches have many mouldings (of late Norman style), on the south
side are cylindrical columns with scalloped caps, on the north side alternating
cylindrical and octagonal columns with moulded caps, the smaller arches to the tower
of Early English style, the transept arch being Victorian. Most windows are lancets,
but there are late C15 and early C16 lights at the east end, north chapel, and tran-
sept. The furnishings are Victorian. A notable tomb monument to Sir Nicholas Hyde
and his lady occupies the east end of the north chapel, and there are several wall
monuments of the late C18 and early C19. On the north wall at the west end of the
nave is a (restored) wall-painting of c1350, showing St Michael weighing souls.
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings