This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 50.7627 / 50°45'45"N
Longitude: -1.7057 / 1°42'20"W
OS Eastings: 420853
OS Northings: 95944
OS Grid: SZ208959
Mapcode National: GBR 557.1L3
Mapcode Global: FRA 7792.C9J
Entry Name: Hinton Admiral House
Listing Date: 30 September 1964
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1095030
English Heritage Legacy ID: 143564
Location: Bransgore, New Forest, Hampshire, BH23
District: New Forest
Civil Parish: Bransgore
Traditional County: Hampshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Hampshire
Church of England Parish: Hinton Admiral St Michael and All Angels
Church of England Diocese: Winchester
SZ 29 NW BRANSGORE HINTON PARK
12/9 Hinton Admiral House
Medium-sized country house. 1720 for Sir P Mews, remodelled after fire 1777,
remodelled and enlarged by H E Peto in 1905. Brick, stone dressings, and ashlar
to centre 3 bays, plain tile roof. Plan of 2 storey on raised basement, 7 bay
main block, added, slightly lower, set-back, 3 bay wings at each end; from
corners on entrance side, quadrant colonnades to 2 storey, 13 bay pavilion wings
set at right angles, behind each a courtyard, one of just walls, other of low
service buildings. Entrance front has wide flight of 8 steps in front of centre
3 bays. End 2 bays have 6-pane window in basement. Centre 3 bays ashlar faced
with giant Composite pilasters and pediment. Large central 6-panel double doors
under fanlight in architrave. Two bays each side and above arched-head sashes in
architraves. End 2 bays have 12-pane sashes in architraves. 1st floor band right
across. Moulded cornice and parapet each side of pediment. Behind tall hipped
roof. Stacks each side of pediment. Added bays have full-height arched recess to
centre bay containing large tripartite stone window and over 6-pane sash, and
other bays have 1st floor 6-pane sashes. Cornice and parapet broken in centre by
balustrade. In front of these bays, 7 arch quadrant colonnades, that to LH free-
standing, that to RH has passage built behind with French windows in arches,
running from corner of original house to corner of pavilion wings. Wings have
arcaded ground floor, over 9-pane sashes and low parapet in front of hipped roof.
Behind LH wing is service courtyard of C18 and C20 outbuildings, beyond are walled
gardens (qv). Behind RH wing is Laundry courtyard of brick walls, one C17, stone
piers and wrought-iron gates, and from house end of wing top-lit billiard room
projection. That end of main house altered C20 when ground floor became ballroom;
a full-height shallow bow was added with stone perron staircases up to it.
Interior late C18, but much remodelled by H E Peto in early C18 style. Country
Life: 1910; p494-8.
Listing NGR: SZ2088095966
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings