This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 50.8185 / 50°49'6"N
Longitude: -1.3075 / 1°18'27"W
OS Eastings: 448877
OS Northings: 102334
OS Grid: SU488023
Mapcode National: GBR 88Z.L7S
Mapcode Global: FRA 864X.Y64
Entry Name: Main Hangar (Calshot Former Rnas Station Immediately South of Castle)
Listing Date: 8 April 1988
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1095046
English Heritage Legacy ID: 143503
Location: Fawley, New Forest, Hampshire, SO45
District: New Forest
Civil Parish: Fawley
Traditional County: Hampshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Hampshire
Church of England Parish: Fawley All Saints
Church of England Diocese: Winchester
Main Hangar (Calshot former RNAS Station
immediately south of Castle)
The grade shall be amended to II*
The entry shall be amended to read:-
SU 40 SE
Main Hangar (Calshot former RNAS
Station immediately south of Castle)
Former flying boat hangar. 1918. Steel-framed with corrugated asbestos or metal cladding and roof.
Rectangular plan, covering an area of approx 5,704 square metres. Contemporary steel buttresses. West
elevation has continuous glazing below eaves, and 3 sets of sliding double doors. East elevation has
continuous glazing and single-storey outshut, also glazed. North and South elevations each have 8 lights.
Steel lattice girders to interior.
Historical note: The largest hangar built in Britain for use by fixed-wing aircraft during World War 1,
comprising 3 of the "F" type hangars which were introduced in 1917. Forms part of the most
outstanding group of early aircraft structures of this type in the British isles, ranging in size from the
1914 Belfast truss Canoe Hangar (qv) of 720 square metres in area, to the type "G" hangar (qv) of 1917
(972 square metres) and this example. Consequently, they manifest as a group the great advances made
in aircraft technology in the 1914-18 period. The base is also associated with the development of RJ
Mitchell's Merlin engine (used in the Spitfire), having been used for RAF speed trials in the inter-war
period and to accommodate British and Italian teams for the Schneider Trophy contest in 1929 and the
Supermarine and Gloster racers in 1931.
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings