This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 51.1491 / 51°8'56"N
Longitude: -1.2684 / 1°16'6"W
OS Eastings: 451269
OS Northings: 139123
OS Grid: SU512391
Mapcode National: GBR 84Y.XVG
Mapcode Global: VHD0Q.YCTZ
Plus Code: 9C3W4PXJ+JJ
Entry Name: Church of St Mary
Listing Date: 5 December 1955
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1095267
English Heritage Legacy ID: 144993
Location: Micheldever, Winchester, Hampshire, SO21
Civil Parish: Micheldever
Built-Up Area: Micheldever
Traditional County: Hampshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Hampshire
Church of England Parish: Micheldever St Mary the Virgin
Church of England Diocese: Winchester
SU 5139 MICHELDEVER CHURCH STREET
5.12.55 Church of St Mary
Parish church. Late C13, mid C16, nave 1808 by Dance, chancel 1880 by Colson,
both for Baring family. Rubble flint with stone dressings, brick and render,
plain tiled, roof. Plan of chancel, large octagonal nave, W bay of C13 nave
with flanking vestries to N and S and C16 W tower. Chancel rendered brick
with stone dressings, with perpendicular style E window.Nave plain brick with
windows at clerestory level just pointed arch heads with plain leaded glass.
N & S face have small 1880 recticulated windows. Nave bay has small windows
to vestries. Tower late perpendicular, has a higher stair turret in SW corner,
C19 4-centred head to W door. Over is square headed window of 3 uncusped
lights with a transom. On all faces belfry windows which are similar but with
4-lights filled with pierced stonework with decoration and lettering. Inside
tower E arch has chamfered order on half-octagonal responds from which the
arch springs. C13 blind arches of W bay of nave hit tower wall either side of
arch above their springing. W arch of nave may reused C13 chancel arch,
pointed with half octagonal moulded capitals. Nave is plastered and has large
panelled plaster star vaulting. In the diagonals shallow coved niches with
pointed heads. Deeper niches to N and S with inserted stained glass reticulated
windows. Chancel arch pointed arch of 1881. In chancel a group of 3 monuments
by Flaxman made 1801-13 for the Barings. The centre one of a seated praying
woman with Gothic surround and the side pieces are small with square Baroque
panel. On other wall monument of 2 kneeling angels 1905 by Sir J E Boehm.
Other furnishings 1880 with perpendicular-style font, and stone pulpit. 3
armorial shield boards on tower walls, 5 bells of 1703, 3 recast 1903 when
6th added. VCH; 1908; Vol III; p.393. Buildings of England, Pevsner; 1967; p.334.
Listing NGR: SU5127839316
Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.
Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings