This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.0607 / 51°3'38"N
Longitude: -1.3131 / 1°18'47"W
OS Eastings: 448232
OS Northings: 129265
OS Grid: SU482292
Mapcode National: GBR 861.JTG
Mapcode Global: FRA 8649.VN9
Entry Name: Cathedral Church of the Holy Trinity
Listing Date: 24 March 1950
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1095509
English Heritage Legacy ID: 144495
Location: Winchester, Hampshire, SO23
Electoral Ward/Division: St Michael
Parish: Non Civil Parish
Built-Up Area: Winchester
Traditional County: Hampshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Hampshire
Church of England Parish: Winchester Cathedral
Church of England Diocese: Winchester
869/6/39 THE CLOSE
24-MAR-50 CATHEDRAL CHURCH OF THE HOLY TRINITY
Cathedral Church of the
SU 4829 SW 6/39 24.5.50
Transepts, crypts and part of the nave 1079-l095, by Bishop Walkelyn, tower fell 1107 and rebuilt later. Retrochoir and Lady chapel early C13. Early English. Nave completely remodelled by Bishop Edington (1345-66), and William of Wykeham (1366-l404) with his master-mason William of Wynforde; this involved a Perpendicular recasing of the Norman nave. The Cathedral is built of Isle of Wight stone. Many important furnishings of all periods, particularly the Bishops' chantry chapels. Flying buttresses on the south by Sir T G Jackson 1909-12, as part of his general restoration. The Norman arcade, once the entrance to the Chapter House, which runs from the south transept to the Deanery, is included in the listing.
All listed buildings in The Close form a group.
Listing NGR: SU4823229265
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings