This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 51.0874 / 51°5'14"N
Longitude: -1.2744 / 1°16'28"W
OS Eastings: 450913
OS Northings: 132258
OS Grid: SU509322
Mapcode National: GBR 85Q.NMM
Mapcode Global: FRA 8667.Z5K
Entry Name: Church of St Mary
Listing Date: 5 December 1955
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1095898
English Heritage Legacy ID: 145644
Location: Itchen Valley, Winchester, Hampshire, SO21
Civil Parish: Itchen Valley
Built-Up Area: Easton
Traditional County: Hampshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Hampshire
Church of England Parish: The Itchen Valley
Church of England Diocese: Winchester
SU 5032 part/5132 ITCHEN VALLEY CHURCH LANE
5.12.55 Church of St Mary
Parish church. Circa 1200, C16, restored 1866-1872 by H. Woodyer. Flint and
dressed stone, once rendered, old plain tiled and lead roofs, shingle covered
belfry. Late Norman plan of tall parapeted chancel with apse, nave and W tower,
C19 N.E. vestry. Chancel has tall stepped buttresses at each end of walls and
apse has 2 similar buttresses at 1-third-points. All round offset plinth, and
C19 zig-zag ornament string course below windows and heavy machicolated parapet.
4 C19 round-headed Norman windows with columns and 3 order arches, to apse and
S chancel, and in SW corner outline of large window, to N gabled vestry. S nave
wall has central Norman door, mostly C19 of 2 orders and label with nook shafts
with 3 shaft-rings. High on each side tall C16 square headed 2-light
quatrefoiled windows with hood moulding. N wall has at E restored hexagonal
rood stair turret with tiny lights and pointed roof. In centre plain round
headed doorway of 2 orders and label. High on each side tall thin round headed
lancet. W tower has SE stair tower restored C19 and top stage and splayed
plinth and roof are C19. C19 2-light plate tracery W window, above on each
face round headed lancet. Stair tower has half hipped roof at level of
smaller plan top stage which has tiled skirt all round below it, supported on
struts of stone string course. 3-light round headed bell openings on each side
and single light similar in tall hipped dormer on pointed roof. Inside chancel
is vaulted with apse; between pointed arch of 2 orders with keeled rolls, label
on slender clusters of shafts with foliage capitals. Chancel vault quadripartite
with finely moulded ribs and square bosses, and apse ribs rise to apex of arch.
All windows C19 round headed with stained glass by J. Hardman, Birmingham.
String course all round at sill level. Distorted round chancel arch with
keeled rolls, slender groups of responds with keeling and waterleaf capitals.
Monuments: 1595 Agatha Barlow, inscribed panel behind 2 unfluted Ionic columns
supporting small ogee-curved gable with date. 1661 Anne Odes, 1770
Rev. Charles Monckton. Nave has a sill level contimation of string course.
S windows have C16 rear arches, S door rebuilt with high stilted arch that
breaks string. N windows have widely splayed rear arches with continuous
keel roll inside. N door is covered over and in till corner door to rood
stairs and above doorway onto screen. Tower arch unmoulded pointed arch with
imposts joining with wall string, and high above round headed doorway to former
nave roof space. C16 arch braced roof, with wind-braces each side of principle
rafters to 2 sets of butt purlins. Pulpit at NE is Jacobean with arabesque
panels above panels with small double arches. Painted carved coat of arms
poss. to William III. Monuments under tower: 1780 to Edmmnd Elyott & Son,
1806 to Mary Simpson.
Listing NGR: SU5101332142
Other nearby listed buildings