This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 53.6482 / 53°38'53"N
Longitude: -1.8441 / 1°50'38"W
OS Eastings: 410399
OS Northings: 416869
OS Grid: SE103168
Mapcode National: GBR HVK7.JY
Mapcode Global: WHCB0.NK1K
Entry Name: Parkwood Mill
Listing Date: 4 December 2002
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1096026
English Heritage Legacy ID: 489916
Location: Kirklees, HD3
Electoral Ward/Division: Golcar
Parish: Non Civil Parish
Built-Up Area: Huddersfield
Traditional County: Yorkshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): West Yorkshire
Church of England Parish: Longwood St Mark the Evangelist
Church of England Diocese: Leeds
391/0/10012 GROVE STREET
Also Known As: Parkwood Mill, STONEY LANE, Longwood
Integrated Room and Power woollen mill. Mid - late C19. For the firm of John Broadbent and Sons, and tenants. Coursed local gritstone, stone and slate roofs. Plain style with little embellishment- some sill bands, dentilled eaves. A fire-proof interior to mill no. 2, at the north end next to the internal engine house; otherwise cast iron columns support massive timber cross beams, the column having flat faces for power transmission systems.
The main buildings of the group are numbered 1 to 8:
1. The earliest surviving mill, built early 1850's on the site of John Broadbent's first mill. Parallel to and on west side of Stoney Lane. 5 storeys, 15 bays; wide pitched roof; rear stair tower centre. Reroofed in the 1950's when the interior was rebuilt with concrete pillars and floors separate from the walls.
2 Probably built 1864, the first of the mills built during rapid expansion under the ownership of Butterworth Broadbent. 6 storeys, 16 bays. M roof; tall water tower with pyramidal roof centre of east side. Internal end engine house retains massive stone block walling and casting to support gearing of power transmission system. This engine house converted to rope race when the new engine house was added on the north end of west side early C20. Former boiler house at the north end, opening off the east side mill yard.
The early C20 engine house of mill 2 at the north end has ornate moulded gable coping and round-arched windows. The interior retains original white, blue and brown glazed brick wall linings and bricked east end opening for the rope race into the former end engine house.
To north again former coal stores, economiser and surviving chimney of 1877. The chimney has a tall square stone plinth with corbelled cornice and brick chimney stack with moulded crown mounted on top. Reported to have been designed as a viewing platform and chimney on an Indian model by John Edward Broadbent who had served in the Indian army. It is a form known in Manchester cotton mills of the mid C19
3 Built about 1866. 6 storeys. Extension of no. 2. 3 parallel roofs and projecting privy/stair tower with taking-in doors on centre of south side
4 Built about 1868 on the west side of no. 2. 3 storeys. Modified mid C20 and few original features survive.
5 Built about 1870. 3 storeys, 12 bays. Three parallel hipped roofs.
6 Completed by 1882. 4 storeys. Built parallel to and on east side of Stoney Lane. 18 bays altogether, rear stair / privy tower. Glazed slate roof.
7 Built with no. 6- southern section.
8 The mill offices and entrance range, south of mill 1 and fronting the bend of Stoney Lane. The building to right of the arch is an office and dyehouse and may include early structure.
The small mill reservoir at the north-east corner of the site is shown on the 1893 25" O.S. map extending on the north side of the road, close to the Methodist Chapel.
By 1872 there were 12 named concerns in the Mill Rent Book and by 1881 there were 14 tenants. By 1887 the tenants included spinners, manufacturers, one dry finisher. In November of that year the Broadbents acquired the finisher's company and it became the Longwood Finishing Company Ltd, shares remaining in the hands of the Broadbent family until 1910. Lockwood Mills closed in 2001. The mill is a complete and unique example of the development of a large Room and Power business which returned to single company ownership in World War I.
The mill stands in the centre of Dodlee Longwood Edge conservation area, 1981. Associated buildings include the Methodist chapel and the stone built valley-bottom village , mill owner's house and cottages on the hill side.
References: J. Ainley, Parkwood Mills: a sad farewell. 2001; E.Lockwood, Colne Valley Folk, 1936; A.J.Brooke, Catalogue of Textile Mills in the Huddersfield area, 1790-1914. The business records of the Longwood Finishing Company are at the Brotherton Library, university of Leeds and at Kirklees library.
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings