This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.4961 / 51°29'45"N
Longitude: -0.4048 / 0°24'17"W
OS Eastings: 510830
OS Northings: 178667
OS Grid: TQ108786
Mapcode National: GBR 3R.JM1
Mapcode Global: VHFTC.XNVG
Entry Name: Brentford Fountain Western International Market
Listing Date: 29 April 2003
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1096071
English Heritage Legacy ID: 490037
Location: Hounslow, London, UB2
Electoral Ward/Division: Heston West
Built-Up Area: Hounslow
Traditional County: Middlesex
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Greater London
Church of England Parish: St Dunstan Cranford
Church of England Diocese: London
787/0/10164 HAYES ROAD
Brentford Fountain, Western Internatio
Drinking Fountain. 1877. Grey granite, cast iron railings and lamp standards. It takes the form of an octagonal spire standing on a tall middle section, square in plan, with a cornice and a gabled niche to each side, within which is a trefoil-headed panel with a shell motif to the top. Projecting bowls to each side. Engaged columns to each corner. This stands on a tall base with steps to east and west, and lamp standards to each corner: these are inscribed GEO SMITH & Co SUN FOUNDRY GLASGOW. Decorative Gothic Revival railings run along the north and south sides between posts, with quatrefoil bosses to the centres of X-framed panels. The east niche bears the original inscription which reads: 'The gift of Mrs Wheeler / the widow of / SAMUEL WHEELER Esq / formerly of / Barrow Hills Chertsey Surrey / and / Brunswick Terrace Brighton / 1877 / erected by the / Drinking Fountain & Cattle Trough / Association. Within the west nice is a bronze plaque erected by the London Borough of Hounslow commemorating the opening of the Western International Market here in 1974.
HISTORY: the fountain originally stood a short distance to the north-west of Kew Bridge, within Brentford Market. It was unveiled by HRH Princess Mary, Duchess of Teck, in July 1877. The fountain had been offered to the Metropolitan Board of Works for erection in central London along the Embankment, but the MBW declined; the donor was pleased to agree to the location at Kew Bridge, where it remained even after the Brentford Market was relocated to ease traffic congestion. It was legally adopted by the Brentford UDC in 1899. The fountain arrived at its present location in June 1974; the horse troughs formerly attached to the north and south sides were discarded in the process. Despite having been relocated, the fountain is a largely intact and unusually handsome example of the type. It formerly stood as a prominent Brentford landmark until its translation to Southall.
SOURCES: Middlesex Chronicle, 28 July 1877; James Marshall, 'History of the Great West Road' (1995), 12.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings