This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 53.0854 / 53°5'7"N
Longitude: -1.5528 / 1°33'10"W
OS Eastings: 430050
OS Northings: 354332
OS Grid: SK300543
Mapcode National: GBR 59H.J7L
Mapcode Global: WHCDW.3QV1
Entry Name: Moor Cottage Farm
Listing Date: 8 April 2003
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1096082
English Heritage Legacy ID: 490048
Location: Wirksworth, Derbyshire Dales, Derbyshire, DE4
District: Derbyshire Dales
Civil Parish: Wirksworth
Traditional County: Derbyshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Derbyshire
Church of England Parish: Wirksworth St Mary
Church of England Diocese: Derby
08-APR-03 Moor Cottage Farm
House, c.1830, later adapted for use as a farmhouse. Red brick, iron framed windows, Roman tiled roof. Two storeys.
PLAN: originally cross-shaped, with later 19th century infill to north angle.
EXTERIOR: south-facing main front of three bays with projecting gabled central section. Pairs of pointed windows to left and central sections with small panes of glass, arched and with quatrefoils to most windows; those to ground floor centre are taller than the others. Altered French windows with shutters, set within a trellised verandah with slate roof to right.
INTERIOR: not inspected, reported as retaining marble chimneypieces, early doors, cupboards, plasterwork. Iron hand-pump in vaulted cellar.
HISTORY: not shown on an Enclosure map of 1806 but marked on the Tithe Apportionment plan of 1835. Identified as Wright's Cottage on the 1849 Tithe Award map. This house was probably built for the family of Charles Wright (d.1846), a prosperous grocer and vintner. It is a highly characteristic example of a cottage ornee, adapted for use later in the 19th century as a farmhouse when the adjoining range of farm buildings were added. There is a tufa-faced grotto in the garden, emphasising the genteel nature of the original house. Photographic evidence suggests that the building was formerly lime-washed; the roof covering has been altered, and may originally have been thatched. Listed as a highly characateristic example of a late Georgian genteel cottage, displaying the influence of designers such as Humphry Repton and sons.
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings