This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 52.9475 / 52°56'50"N
Longitude: -1.2091 / 1°12'32"W
OS Eastings: 453241
OS Northings: 339192
OS Grid: SK532391
Mapcode National: GBR L8R.6K
Mapcode Global: WHDGY.D5HQ
Entry Name: 4 Statue Bases on the Upper South Terrace at Wollaton Hall Garden
Listing Date: 13 November 2002
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1096092
English Heritage Legacy ID: 490057
Location: Nottingham, NG8
County: City of Nottingham
Electoral Ward/Division: Wollaton West
Built-Up Area: Nottingham
Traditional County: Nottinghamshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Nottinghamshire
Church of England Parish: Wollaton
Church of England Diocese: Southwell and Nottingham
646-1/0/10033 WOLLATON PARK
13-NOV-02 4 statue bases on the Upper South Terr
ace, Wollaton Hall garden
4 stone pedestal bases designed for C17 statues. c.1690. Square moulded stone base and cornice, with plain stone shaft all of Hollington sandstone. These identical bases appear to have been moved around the parterre lawn (see documentary evidence). A number of statues were laid out on the upper lawn and are illustrated in the late C17. 4 of these survive and are stored in the Camellia House.
References; photograph in Pall Mall magazine (E.M Middleton circa 1890), Jan Siberechts oil painting of Wollaton Hall circa 1695, Kip and Knyff engraving of Wollaton Hall circa 1707.
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings