This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 51.0306 / 51°1'50"N
Longitude: -0.7348 / 0°44'5"W
OS Eastings: 488814
OS Northings: 126459
OS Grid: SU888264
Mapcode National: GBR DDJ.71R
Mapcode Global: FRA 96BD.CK2
Entry Name: Slindon House
Listing Date: 24 April 2003
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1096098
English Heritage Legacy ID: 490063
Location: Fernhurst, Chichester, West Sussex, GU27
County: West Sussex
Civil Parish: Fernhurst
Traditional County: Sussex
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): West Sussex
Church of England Parish: Fernhurst St Margaret
Church of England Diocese: Chichester
1899/0/10033 HENLEY COMMON
24-APR-03 Slindon House
House. Early C18, refronted c1800 with small 1960s extension in matching style to north. Front and rear walls of red brick with grey headers in Flemish bond providing diaper pattern. Side walls of stone rubble. Tiled roof with brick chimneystack to gable of south end and further chimneystack to south end of outshot. Two bay end chimneystack plan.
EXTERIOR: Two storeys: two windows to original part, further ground floor window to ground floor of south lean-to. Early C20 casement windows with leaded lights, ground floor windows have cambered heads. Central doorcase with cambered head and plank door. Outshot with catslide roof to rear.
INTERIOR: Originally two rooms to each floor and outshot, only ground floor south room heated. Ground floor south room has a wide open fireplace with wooden bressumer with marks as charms against witches, brass plaque with Cowdray estate number "C111" and side wooden seats. Exposed floor joists were originally plastered as the nail holes prove. The original timber partition with stretcher bond infilling between the south room and the ooutshot survives. The partition between the two ground floor rooms has been removed but the north room also has exposed floor joists and tiled floor. The original staircase was in the north western corner of the south room but this has been replaced by a C20 straight flight staircase with large turned wooden newel post along the west wall of the north room. First floor timberframing is visible from the outshot. The first floor retains the wooden partition between the first floor rooms, the outline of the chimneystack and oak floorboards to both rooms. Roof not inspected but original rafters incorporating ash poles were reported.
HISTORY: Until 1909 this property belonged to the Cowdray estate. It is shown on the Tithe Map of 1846 and with a larger footprint on the 1874 OS map, probably an attached outbuilding since demolished. Local memory reports pig raising in the outshot.
Other nearby listed buildings