This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.1686 / 51°10'6"N
Longitude: -0.0426 / 0°2'33"W
OS Eastings: 536947
OS Northings: 142857
OS Grid: TQ369428
Mapcode National: GBR KLB.N1L
Mapcode Global: VHGSL.6WVK
Entry Name: Shawlands
Listing Date: 2 May 2003
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1096099
English Heritage Legacy ID: 490064
Location: Horne, Tandridge, Surrey, RH7
Civil Parish: Horne
Traditional County: Surrey
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Surrey
Church of England Parish: Godstone and Blindley Heath
Church of England Diocese: Southwark
188/0/10015 NEW CHAPEL ROAD
House. Early C18 with south extension added between 1895 and 1910 and some late C20 refenestration. Built of red brick, mainly in English bond with some grey headers but some Flemish bond to the east elevation. Hipped roof now covered in C20 tiles and two tall brick chimneystacks with stone coping along the west wall and a similar large chimneystack along the original south wall. Three storeys and cellar: irregular fenestration but five windows to the north elevation which was originally the front.
EXTERIOR: North elevation was the original entrance front and is a symmetrical front of five bays. There is a wooden moulded cornice and wide modillion cornice above the first floor, probably added at the same time as the Edwardian wing. There are brick panels underneath the first floor windows. The second floor has three cambered headed windows with moulded wooden architraves and intermediate cambered blanks, the first floor has three eight-pane sashes to the left and two late C20 uPVC windows in original architraves. The ground floor has one eight-pane sash, one sash with uPVC window and two sashes with horns but no glazing bars. The central doorcase has a flat hood on brackets, wooden architrave and original eight fielded panelled door, the top two panels glazed, with L-hinges to the reverse. There are cambered openings to the basement with wooden architraves and iron bars. The east elevation has a blank window to the centre of the first and second floors and the right side has no windows because the staircase is positioned in this corner. The second floor windows have c1900 sashes without glazing bars but the lower floors have late C20 uPVC windows. Cellar windows have metal bars. To the right is a brick and wooden porch, originally open, now with uPVC window and door but the original door survives on the ground floor and to the cellar. The west elevation has very few windows, only one cambered c1900 sash to the second floor and a blank, a blank to the first floor and cambered opening to the basement. The south elevation has an extension added in the centre in Neo-Georgian style between 1895 and 1910, also in English bond brickwork with tiled roof. This is of two storeys and attics also in red brick with tiled roof with pedimented gable with modillion cornice and oculus. The first floor has two cambered openings, now with late C20 uPVC windows and central square metal sundial with decorated gnomen and inscription "CARPE DIEM". The ground floor has a five-light curved bay, now with late C20 uPVC window. The right side return has an oval window and 8-panelled door with flight of steps and curved wall with ball finial. To the right of the Edwardian addition the earlier building has a cambered window, to the left the original part has two cambered windows to the upper floors, now uPVC and a c1900 four-light mullioned and transomed bay.
INTERIOR: Good quality three storey painted wooden well staircase of c1710 with straight string with turned balusters and square newel posts, except for the bottom flight which is curved with two turned balusters to each tread, scrolled tread ends and a column newel and is a later modification. The ground floor south east room has an open fireplace with wooden bressumer and wooden spit racks, exposed spine beam and tiled floor. The first floor north west room has early C18 panelling with dado rail and moulded cornice and wooden shutters. Most door architraves are C18, some reduced in width, but doors are C19. The cellar is little altered since the C18, retaining its wide doors, an open fireplace, several wooden shelves and slate shelves to a northern room which may have been used as a dairy. C18 roof with pegged rafters with carpenters' marks and dragon braces. Edwardian panelled Sitting Room on the ground floor of the extension and at the same time the two western ground floor rooms were combined into one with two oak Georgian style fireplaces with pilasters and panelling with ovolo moulding. The first floor north west room has a good quality Art Nouveau style fireplace with copper hood to firegrate and decorated tiles. The second floor has a large fireplace with swags and pilasters and two smaller fireplaces with pomegranite decoration, metal hoods and tiled surrounds. The bathroom in the c1900 extension retains green tiled walls and chequered tiled flooring but the fittings have been renewed.
HISTORY: Shown on Rocque's Map of 1770 as Shaw's Farm. The south addition is not shown on the OS map of 1895 but was built by the time of the 1910 OS map.
Other nearby listed buildings