This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.561 / 51°33'39"N
Longitude: -0.0742 / 0°4'27"W
OS Eastings: 533590
OS Northings: 186436
OS Grid: TQ335864
Mapcode National: GBR HC.9ZD
Mapcode Global: VHGQT.N1M5
Entry Name: The Rochester Castle Public House
Listing Date: 25 February 2003
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1096116
English Heritage Legacy ID: 490082
Location: Hackney, London, N16
Electoral Ward/Division: Stoke Newington
Built-Up Area: Hackney
Traditional County: Middlesex
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Greater London
Church of England Parish: St Mary Stoke Newington
Church of England Diocese: London
735/0/10126 STOKE NEWINGTON HIGH STREET
The Rochester Castle Public House
The Rochester Castle Public House, Stoke Newington High Street. 1892-93 by Messrs Crickmay and Sons, architects.
EXTERIOR: three storeys plus attic. Ground floor with a projecting central bay set between Doric columns of red granite; glazing renewed. Flanking side pilasters also of red granite. Doors (renewed) on either side, with mosaic decoration to thresholds spelling name of pub; tiled decoration on inner walls of entrances, with decorative moulded tiles (that on south wall with a panel showing a grape-cutting maiden). Fascia of grey granite. Projecting central shallow segmental bay rising up to an elaborate stepped gable; twelve-light mullioned windows to first and second floors; decorative cartouches at second floor level, with putti frolicking with garlands amid acanthus leaves with a central cartouche. Plainer side bays with tall windows to first floor within moulded, pediment-topped surrounds, and framed windows with aprons to second floor; windows are of plate glass, with moulded mullions to upper lights. Mansard with pediment-topped dormers.
INTERIOR: The pub has lost its original partitions and the bar counter has been moved back against the north flank wall. The compartmented ceiling is carried on slender cast iron columns. The front part of the side walls retain glazed tiling with arabesque-enriched pilasters and mirrors: figurative panels depicting the Seasons, set within borders, remain in situ along the north wall. To the rear, a top-lit extension with a Jacobethan style frieze beneath the (renewed) lantern. Upper floors not inspected.
HISTORY: this is a characteristic and exuberantly decorated pub from the height of the 'Gin Palace' phase of pub building. Stylistically it looked to the early 17th century for inspiration. It has undergone considerable alteration, but remains a fine example of the type, with unusual tiled decoration. The architects, Messrs Crickmay and Sons, were specialists in the field. Permission to erect the pub, on behalf of a Mr Heaven, was sought from the London County Council in November 1892.
SOURCE: LCC Minutes for 1892, applications under the Building Acts.
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings