This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.761 / 51°45'39"N
Longitude: -0.5661 / 0°33'57"W
OS Eastings: 499060
OS Northings: 207899
OS Grid: SP990078
Mapcode National: GBR F55.FQV
Mapcode Global: VHFRY.4ZLW
Entry Name: H H Dickman, Chemists
Listing Date: 9 May 2003
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1096122
English Heritage Legacy ID: 490088
Location: Berkhamsted, Dacorum, Hertfordshire, HP4
Civil Parish: Berkhamsted
Built-Up Area: Berkhamsted
Traditional County: Hertfordshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Hertfordshire
Church of England Parish: Great Berkhamsted
Church of England Diocese: St.Albans
814/0/10024 HIGH STREET
H H Dickman, Chemists
House with chemists at ground floor. Late-C19 house converted to chemist use in 1914 with shop front and fittings from 1920. Brick with glazed in wood frame shop front. Ground floor shop with offices to rear and residential and secondary shop accommodation at upper levels.
EXTERIOR: Advanced shop front with gilded fascia that reads 'CHEMIST H.H. DICKMAN OPTICIANS'. Slender colonnette mullions. To left, 3 bays, that to centre advanced and with curved edges, over shallow marble plinth. To right, recessed entrance bay with shallow glazed cabinets to side and deep glazed display cabinet to rear. Glazed door to left with diamond mullion overlight. Continuous band of glazed overlights with diamond glazing bars to each bay, paired over entrance.
INTERIOR: Ground floor with shop to front with small raised room at right, and raised dispensing department to the rear. Front display window with glazed doors into shop. Fitted glazed cabinets to right wall, shelving to left wall with cabinets below that have multiple small drawers labelled to identify drugs and chemicals. Free-standing fitting glazed mahogany framed cabinets form display counters. To rear, tall shelving unit with mirrored back and raised sign that reads 'DISPENSING DEPARTMENT.' Full height staircase and tiled floors. Primary interest is the ground floor shop.
SOURCES: For context, Kathryn Morrison 'English Shops and Shopping: An Architectural History'. Yale University Press, forthcoming 2003.
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings