This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.0532 / 51°3'11"N
Longitude: -0.1685 / 0°10'6"W
OS Eastings: 528464
OS Northings: 129800
OS Grid: TQ284298
Mapcode National: GBR JL6.S8F
Mapcode Global: FRA B6JB.J69
Entry Name: Stable Block at Ditton Place
Listing Date: 4 February 2003
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1096144
English Heritage Legacy ID: 490110
Location: Ansty and Staplefield, Mid Sussex, West Sussex, RH17
County: West Sussex
District: Mid Sussex
Civil Parish: Ansty and Staplefield
Traditional County: Sussex
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): West Sussex
Church of England Parish: Staplefield Common St Mark
Church of England Diocese: Chichester
1144/0/10066 BRANTRIDGE LANE
04-FEB-03 Stable block at Ditton Place
Stables and coachhouse, later school workshops. Built in 1904, architects Cecil Brewer and Dunbar Smith, in Neo William and Mary style for A B Horne, the owner of Prudential Insurance. Some later C20 alterations. Red brick with stone dressings and tiled roof with two brick chimneystacks. Building of one storey and attics arranged around three sides of a courtyard.
EXTERIOR: West front is architecturally the most impressive as it was designed to be seen from the garden side of the main house. It has a series of eight oculi, each with four keystones, moulded stone cornice and hipped roof. This has six cambered dormers and a central square wooden cupola with clockface, hipped roof and elaborate metal weathervane. The east front has four dormers and five wooden piers on padstones, formerly open but glazed-in in the late C20. The wings are aloso of one storey brick with tops of the projecting gables weatherboarded with round-headed windows and pivoting casements. The gables have wooden hoists. Wooden staircase have been erected in front. The roofs have central wooden louvres on battered lead bases. The left side wing has three casement windows and double doors. The right side retains a set of double doors and C20 infill. The two projecting wings are joined by brick walls with stone coping, two gatepiers with stone ball finials, curbing stones and cast iron overthrow . The stables are joined to the main house by a round-headed brick arch.
["Country Life" 1st July 1911 in "Country Gardens Old and New."
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings