This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 53.4704 / 53°28'13"N
Longitude: -2.3858 / 2°23'8"W
OS Eastings: 374490
OS Northings: 397142
OS Grid: SJ744971
Mapcode National: GBR CXS9.8P
Mapcode Global: WH98G.B15C
Entry Name: Main Hangar and Workshops at Barton Aerodrome
Listing Date: 9 April 2003
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1096145
English Heritage Legacy ID: 490068
Location: Salford, M30
Electoral Ward/Division: Irlam
Parish: Non Civil Parish
Traditional County: Lancashire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Greater Manchester
Church of England Parish: Irlam St John the Baptist
Church of England Diocese: Manchester
Main Hangar and Workshops at Barton Aerodrome
Aircraft hangar and attached workshops. 1930, with late C20 alterations. Steel-framed structure with red brick external walling and sheet roof covering. Built for Manchester Corporation as part of Manchester's municipal airport.
Exterior. Tall main hangar structure with wide gabled end walls, the north gable formed by the main hangar doors occupying the full width of the frontage, and set on rails. Metal-sheeted gable apex, with projecting canopy above central opening. 13 bay structure, approx. 70 metres by 35 metres wide and 10.5 metres high. Pier and panel brick side walls, with 2 tiers of 24 windows with stone sills to south-west side. Some upper floor openings retain metal frames. Single tier of 24 blocked windows to north-east side, the lower part of this wall concealed by a single storey gabled workshop extending the full width of the building. South gable incorporates an ashlar plaque bearing the coat of arms of Manchester City Council.
INTERIOR: Undivided interior space, with side and rear end wall with exposed steel wall framing carrying 14 braced steel roof trusses spanning the full width of the building.
HISTORY: The development of an airport site at Barton Moss began in 1928. In 1929, the landing field was officially approved by the Air Ministry, and the airport was officially opened on 29th January 1930. In June 1930, Imperial Airways inaugurated services between Croydon, Barton, Birmingham and Liverpool.
The earliest civil aviation aircraft hangar in England, dating from 1930, and built to house the then most advanced passenger aircraft at England's first municipal airport, which also housed the first passenger terminal, the first flight control tower, and the first designated runways, all of which survive as components of a unique historic aviation landscape. A recommendation informed by Current English Heritage research.
Other nearby listed buildings