This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 51.0774 / 51°4'38"N
Longitude: -0.8862 / 0°53'10"W
OS Eastings: 478118
OS Northings: 131483
OS Grid: SU781314
Mapcode National: GBR CBD.BS3
Mapcode Global: FRA 9618.LJR
Entry Name: Ironstone Barn at Forest Side Farm
Listing Date: 24 June 2003
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1096162
English Heritage Legacy ID: 490184
Location: Greatham, East Hampshire, Hampshire, GU33
District: East Hampshire
Civil Parish: Greatham
Built-Up Area: Greatham
Traditional County: Hampshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Hampshire
Church of England Parish: Greatham St John the Baptist
Church of England Diocese: Portsmouth
1068/0/10029 PETERSFIELD ROAD
24-JUN-03 Ironstone Barn at Forest Side Farm
Threshing barn. Late C17 but midstrey probably added in mid C18. Aisled timber barn of four bays but outer walls of coursed ironstone with some ironstone galleting visible on the south east front. Mainly brick dressings but stone and brick quoins to the south west including some narrow Tudor bricks. Steeply pitched hipped roof, probably originally thatched but now covered in corrugated iron.
EXTERIOR: Off central cart entrance with hipped midstrey supported on brackets to the north west. The brackets are supported on posts with an C18 cut profile and there are large plank double doors on pintle hinges. The north western front also has six ventilation slits and a C19 fixed casement window. The north east side has two similar fixed casements, one ventilation slit and a wide doorcase with plank door on pintle hinges. The south east side has a fixed casement and two wide doors, one with iron latch and pintle hinges and two ironstone triangular buttresses. The south west side has two ventilation slits edged in stone and wide brick edged door opening.
INTERIOR: Aisled on both sides with outshuts at each end. The aisle posts are jowled with curved or diagonal tension braces. Three bays have queenposts and one has an angled queenpost. Pegged rafters with clasped purlins. On one side of the threshing floor a weatherboarded threshing board survives.
HISTORY: The original farmhouse, Temple Down, which had a thatched roof was destroyed by fire in 1861.
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings